Mouse scrolling out of control

natespapa09

Mouse scrolling out of control

by natespapa09 » Tue May 05, 2015 20:59

Hi. I am trying to play on an acer C720P Chromebook (intel) running ubuntu kde in crouton in a window. Minetest runs fine, but the mouse is out of control. When I try to move it just has no control looking all over and not getting me where I want to be looking. I tried a different mouse and the touch pad, but none of them have any control. I tried one of the mice on a windows computer and it works fine in Minetest. Any ideas on how to get it under control. I looked in the mouse settings in KDE and in Chrome OS and don't really see anything that is helping.

Thanks!

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

Re: Mouse scrolling out of control

by rubenwardy » Wed May 06, 2015 08:17

You're probably in cinematic mode, try pressing f8.

Morn76

GitHub: mdoege

by Morn76 » Wed May 06, 2015 13:33

It could also be the trackpad issue that has been noticed on MacBooks before, related to the fps limiter. Try to set fps_max to a higher value in minetest.conf, e.g. "fps_max = 200".

yellowpunctum

GitHub: veromary

by yellowpunctum » Mon Mar 07, 2016 23:00

I am having the same issue on my chromebook - Acer C730. I've tried setting the fps_max to 200, but no change in the erratic mouse behaviour.

As for cinematic mode, there's no f8 key on the chromebook anyway.

Maybe a bit more detail about the erratic behaviour. Any slight movement seems to send the viewpoint either pointing up to the sky or down to the ground. The mouse is not bound to the minetest window and stops affecting the viewpoint when it leaves the window. It seems there is a very narrow band in the middle of the window where the viewpoint is not sent either straight up or down, but the left right hold is so touchy that it is impossible to turn where you want, and the band so narrow that you soon face either the sky or your feet.

I should add, I'm using crouton with a jessie chroot and xiwi to start minetest. Same behaviour with a trusty chroot.

yellowpunctum

GitHub: veromary

by yellowpunctum » Tue Mar 08, 2016 00:01

Solved! Instead of using xiwi I tried e17 - probably any desktop environment would work.

Much better, quite snappy, now all my kids want to use the chromebook.

est31

by est31 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 03:19

What you describe is the classical behaviour for missing pointer warping. It seems xiwi hasn't implemented pointer warping. Wayland has the same issue.

dr4Ke

GitHub: dr4Ke

by dr4Ke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:36

Is it possible, technically speaking, to not rely on pointer warping?

est31

by est31 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 21:04

Technically it is possible, yes, by using speical API functions that allow pointer capture and receiving relative events instead. These APIs are only exposed to applications though that directly talk with wayland, not to applications that talk with wayland over XWayland, like minetest does. So it is almost impossible to workaround this, unless we extend irrlicht to work on wayland as well. See also issue #1763 for more reading: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1763

BrunoMine

GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Fri Jul 01, 2016 18:21

I'm with a similar problem. My mouse is turning up not stop. My character is also walking in circles endlessly.
I use ubuntu and installed minetest the repository and automatically updated to 0.4.14 and it worked very well.
The problem is in the compiled version (minetest 0.4.14-dev-80cebdc) I downloaded from github.
Can someone help me.

mrmister

by mrmister » Sat Jul 02, 2016 20:43

I'm getting the same thing on the dev version 4.14. My mouse just goes up and turns left non stop. Everything else is fine.

Return to Minetest Problems