Need help, possible bug with Fedora

Biggvs_Richardvs

Need help, possible bug with Fedora

by Biggvs_Richardvs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 01:10

Hello,

I'm very new to minetest but am a seasoned Linux admin. I'm running Fedora 20 and have the stock minetest 0.4.9 yum package installed.

When I try to run subgames, I am getting errors in lua. The first one is for big_freaking_dig-master:
17:59:13: ERROR[main]: ...etest/games/big_freaking_dig-master/mods/mapgen/init.lua:5: attempt to call field 'clear_registered_biomes' (a nil value)
17:59:13: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
17:59:13: ERROR[main]: ...etest/games/big_freaking_dig-master/mods/mapgen/init.lua:5: in main chunk
17:59:13: ERROR[main]: ======= END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========

The second is from the tutorial subgame:
18:01:26: ERROR[main]: ServerError: ../.minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:146: attempt to call method 'set_local_animation' (a nil value)
18:01:26: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
18:01:26: ERROR[main]: ../.minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:146: in function <.../mwells/.minetest/games/tutorial/mods/default/player.lua:143>
18:01:26: ERROR[main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/misc_register.lua:330: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/misc_register.lua:318>

I'm just wondering - if I built 0.4.12 from source would they run ok, or is this pilot error?

Thanks a bunch,

Richard

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

Re: Need help, possible bug with Fedora

by kaeza » Mon Jul 06, 2015 05:13

Those two functions (clear_registered_biomes and set_local_animation) were added in 0.4.11 (?) and 0.4.10 respectively, so subgames/mods using them don't work on 0.4.9. My advice is get the source and compile yourself (either the development ["master"] branch or the stable one), or poke the maintainers of the Fedora package to get up to date. 0.4.9 is quite old (from around early 2014 IIRC). So yes: getting the latest (dev/stable) sources should make that subgame (big_freaking_dig) work.

Compiling Minetest in not too hard. The README should give enough information on the subject.

HTH
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Biggvs_Richardvs

by Biggvs_Richardvs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 21:12

Thanks so much for that. I actually ended up both Compiling and upgrading. I upgraded my first machine to Fedora 21 which has 0.4.11 in the yum repo which now works great, and then I compiled it from source on a Centos system. I'm thinking about putting together a Centos 7 package for MT to contribute, but not sure how to do the whole process.

Thanks again,
Rich

Neon

In-game: Neon

by Neon » Wed Jul 22, 2015 17:29

I'll plug my Fedora Compile thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5211&start=25
It sounds like you got everything working fine, though.

I actually had put together [url='http://mattnet.org/rpms/']an RPM for 0.4.10[/url]. It was my first RPM, so I leaned heavily on the documentation from Fedora.

Return to Minetest Problems