how to install minetest from source exactly like dnf does it

Fedora24

GitHub: JamesTobin
In-game: Trump

how to install minetest from source exactly like dnf does it

by Fedora24 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 02:47

I had installed minetest prior on Fedora with "Sudo dnf install minetest minetest-server". now i am trying to change the version but using source code. but the config files are set to act like the world was installed the way apt installs it. i'm not an expert and dont know how all the cmake flags work. I want to, with source code, install minetest 0.4.14 the same way dnf does it so i can get it running.
Trumpland Minetest server: 96.230.217.246 port 30000
mesecons, moremesecons, digilines advtrains, pipeworks, technic, vehicles, army, cottages, and much more!

Fedora24

Re: how to install minetest from source exactly like dnf doe

by Fedora24 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 17:26

bumpitty bump bump bump :P
mesecons, moremesecons, digilines advtrains, pipeworks, technic, vehicles, army, cottages, and much more!

CuriousNoob

re: how to install minetest from source

by CuriousNoob » Thu Jan 19, 2017 22:14

Fedora24 wrote:i'm not an expert and dont know how all the cmake flags work. I want to, with source code, install minetest 0.4.14 the same way dnf does it so i can get it running.

Hi Fedora24

Ironically the move to dnf from yum --- with yum's scriptable URL-list-generating yumdownloader which fitted my data-capped situation --- was one of the reasons (but just one of many) why I moved away into the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint camp after a decade with Red Hat.

When they obsoleted Fedora 19 and the then 21-KDE was a PITA buggy mess with the aging nVidia laptop it was time to say ''Enough!'' I'm weary of ''doing computers'' and want to return to ''doing real things using computers.'' Bleeding edge can get tedious and waste a lot of time. I now realise stable and reliable is far more desirable. And not all change is progress.

But with sudden massive changes of direction and content, leaving long-time users high and dry, prioritising corporate agendas over community, Red Hat increasingly started to remind me of Apple. No thanks, not again.

< end of rant >

Aaanywayyy...

I'm used to the standard old '' ./configure ; make ; sudo make install '' procedure for most stuff from source, on both MacOS X and Linux.

Like yourself, I too am not an expert on this. But after much reading and following instructions in the course of troubleshooting Minetest issues, and after having installed a slew of dependencies for the build process, the cmake part of my bash one-liner is :

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
    Code: Select all
    cmake  .  \
    -DRUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE \
    -DBUILD_SERVER=1 \
    -DBUILD_CLIENT=1 \
    -DENABLE_LUAJIT=1 \
    -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 \
    -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1

(noting that there's a dot, a period, after cmake) ... followed by the...

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
    make -j 2

(the -j 2 because it's being compiled on a dual-core cpu)

Then I've launched Minetest directly from there, from the binary created in the source folder, as per ''RUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE''

My full one-liner on this Ubuntu-based system is :

echo;history -a;sleep 3 ;  DATENOW=$(date +%Y%m%d) ; MINETEST_USER="$USER" ; su -c " DATENOW=$(date +%Y%m%d) ; mkdir -pvm777 /usr/local/src/minetest/daily/${DATENOW} ; chown -v $MINETEST_USER:$MINETEST_USER /usr/local/src/minetest{,/daily{,/$DATENOW}} " ; cd /usr/local/src/minetest/daily/${DATENOW} ; wget -c https://github.com/minetest/minetest/archive/master.tar.gz ; rm -fr ./minetest-master ; tar xf master.tar.gz ; cd minetest-master/games/ ; wget -c https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/archive/master.tar.gz ; tar xf master.tar.gz ; mv -v minetest_game-master minetest_game ; cd .. ; sleep 3 ; cmake  .  -DRUN_IN_PLACE=TRUE -DBUILD_SERVER=1 -DBUILD_CLIENT=1 -DENABLE_LUAJIT=1 -DENABLE_GETTEXT=1 -DENABLE_FREETYPE=1 ; make -j 2 ; sleep 3 ; cp -T -av /home/"$USER"/.minetest/mods/villages-for-minetest-modpack   ./mods/villages-for-minetest-modpack ; mkdir -pvm777 ./SCREENSHOTS ; sleep 3 ; cd /usr/local/src/minetest/daily/${DATENOW}/minetest-master ; ./bin/minetest   &

Please note that the listed cmake flags build a minetestserver as well as the regular minetest.

I wonder whether two modifications might give you a system-wide install like you'd get from dnf :

1) Instead of TRUE using the cmake flag :

RUN_IN_PLACE=FALSE

2) follow the ''make'' with a regular old ''make install'' :

make -j 2  ;  su -c ' make install '

Unfortunately I'm not in any position to test and experiment with this idea, because I'm on an Ubuntu-based system not Fedora, and because the gui-based system-wide minetestdevs-ppa-installed Minetest works nicely and I don't dare upset anything because I do not have unlimited data to do reinstalls if it goes wrong ... and for that same reason I cannot do any Virtual-Machine tests for you with Fedora-24 because I won't have access to the multi-gigabyte current distro ISOs any time soon. Sorry.

Obviously, you should not attempt anything experimental if you're not willing to risk creating problems you can't undo.

I'm just suggesting that maybe, just maybe, tagging the ''install'' stage on the end might give you a system-wide install comparable with dnf.

I have absolutely no idea whether there are extra steps added by the package-managers to give ''.desktop'' application-launcher files so that Minetest is accessible through your Desktop Environment GUI menus, but I suspect there probably would be such extra steps ... maybe that's really what you're asking about. If so, depending on your DE if you use one, maybe you could find and look inside the ''.desktop'' launcher files for other applications and use them as a template to manually create something similar for Minetest.

Maybe if you're up to it you could investigate what's inside Fedora's packages to see what it installs where --- there's probably even a dnf command to directly list such info.

As I say, I'm no expert --- these are just untested suggestions, 'coz I know how awful it is when a forum-post gets no response at all.

Open-Source is absolutely the best way, but it's a fragile flower, highly subject to the chance convergence of proximity plus expertise plus motivation.

I hope those who are expert will chip in and confirm how you can do this.

All the best ;-P

Fedora24

Re: re: how to install minetest from source

by Fedora24 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 22:40

CuriousNoob wrote:these are just untested suggestions[/size][/b], 'coz I know how awful it is when a forum-post gets no response at all.

YOU KNOW IT!!!!!!

great answer and thanks so much for your response, I'm going to try it really soon :) : ) I will definitely backup my worlds first though. ill let you know how it turns out!!!

Fedora24

by Fedora24 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 23:27

update. there are a lot of people on my server so i cant update now. tomorrow I will be at Washington D. C. for the inauguration. hopefully Saturday I can check it out. I'll let you know then!

Fedora24

by Fedora24 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 00:23

alright everyone left so i tried it now. i cant get it going into /usr/share/minetest without moving the source code to that folder. but then the mods folder is minetest folder/mods instead of minetest folder/games/minetest_game/mods and stuff doesnt work. make install wouldnt work either. :( :( :(

Fedora24

by Fedora24 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 00:27

well well! update!!! somehow sudo make install influenced something so that when i ran sudo dnf install minetest i got .14, the version i wanted!!!!!! wow, interesting!

Return to Minetest Problems