Any way to do this? [solved]

RAPHAEL

Any way to do this? [solved]

by RAPHAEL » Sun Dec 11, 2011 15:36

EDIT: Figured out how to do it, how I did it at end of post.. Still curious for "side question"

So I have a Linux server setup and Minetest installed and running. However my access to the server is via ssh.

Is there a way to run the Minetest server without having to leave the SSH session open? A way to see the server console as well?

The server is Ubuntu oneiric and my access is headless only.

A side question, roughly what is the bandwidth needs to run a Minetest server? Like how many players would a home Cable net ISP support?

Solution: For Ubuntu at least (not sure how it works on other distros) open up your SSH session and issue the following command:
nohup minetestserver &

The output will by default be in $HOME/nohup.out
Last edited by RAPHAEL on Sun Dec 11, 2011 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

bwog

by bwog » Sun Dec 11, 2011 15:46

RAPHAEL wrote:A side question, roughly what is the bandwidth needs to run a Minetest server? Like how many players would a home Cable net ISP support?

You could use this although it's intended for Minecraft. I'd think Minetest would require less resources then MC, so if you get a good or average result it'll probably work good for Minetest.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Sun Dec 11, 2011 16:10

Found a solution, added it to first post in case others need it.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

dannydark

by dannydark » Sun Dec 11, 2011 17:24

You could just use screen, that way you could detach the MT server from the ssh session meaning it will carry on running after you quit the session, then when you next login to ssh you can reattach the screen if you need to see the server output.

You would start screen by doing: screen ./minetestserver
Then you can detach it by doing: Ctrl+A Ctrl+D
To list which screens you have do: screen -ls
Then you can reattach the screen by doing: screen -r NAMEFROMLIST

bit more info: http://linux.die.net/man/1/screen

EDIT: This is how I manage my MT and MC servers as I have nearly 18 servers (1x MT, 17x MC) running on the same dedicated server.
Last edited by dannydark on Sun Dec 11, 2011 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

TBC_x

by TBC_x » Mon Dec 12, 2011 00:58

I wrote this bash script for bukkit. It's useful, if you need more people to maintain one server. Basically, it's designed for one server per machine, but i hope it can serve well somewhere else.

Return to Minetest Problems