InGame Console Bug/Strange behaviour

fairiestoy

InGame Console Bug/Strange behaviour

by fairiestoy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 09:35

Hello everybody,
I wanted to report this even if its not that annoying or is affecting gameplay a lot. But it could be confusing for new players which encounter the in-game console.

1) The bug is reproducable

2) ^ by simply pressing F10

3) Win7 and WinXP tested

4) Minetest 0.4.7-bc5db9b

5) Game type does not matter in this bug

Bug description:
If you start a game (doesn't matter if you log into a server or play singleplayer) and press F10 for the in-game console, the draw frame looses focus and sets it to the border drawn by the windowmanager of windows. The game screen stops drawing and is not responding to mouse movement anymore. One has to click inside the draw window to kick in normal behaviour again. I did a quick forum search with this keyword(s): Console bug And couldn't find anything related to this. Something else: I asked around on my favourite server and it seems that this bug is only reproducable in Windows OS's.

Greetings...

P.S: I checked the debug.txt, and there is no info related to this bug, therefore i didn't add it.
Last edited by fairiestoy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Interesting about new things is, to figure out how it works ...

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Wed Sep 04, 2013 09:44

AFAIK this is an unknown bug. Could you file it at the issue tracker at github? https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 14:21

PilzAdam wrote:AFAIK this is an unknown bug. Could you file it at the issue tracker at github? https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues

No problem. Meanwhile, i did a quick research in the net for you. Maybe it helps you for further research in this case:
Irrlicht Forum topic
This topic started because a user had the same issues with pressing the ALT-key while in game screen. As you can see in this post i linked here, it seems like a known issue and maybe already solved.

kahrl

by kahrl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 21:58

fairiestoy wrote:No problem. Meanwhile, i did a quick research in the net for you. Maybe it helps you for further research in this case:
Irrlicht Forum topic
This topic started because a user had the same issues with pressing the ALT-key while in game screen. As you can see in this post i linked here, it seems like a known issue and maybe already solved.

Looks like that's it and seems like it cannot easily be solved without modifying irrlicht. A quick workaround would be to set keymap_console = KEY_F9 or some other key.

fairiestoy

by fairiestoy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 23:46

kahrl wrote:Looks like that's it and seems like it cannot easily be solved without modifying irrlicht. A quick workaround would be to set keymap_console = KEY_F9 or some other key.

I think thats not just a 'quick workaround'. Instead this would solve it, since the irrlicht devs (as far as i could read from that topic) are not considering to change this behaviour in stable releases. Since this could break backwards-compatibility. In minetest this problem does not occur, since no key is mapped to F9 (afaik). If this would be done, it will be nice. Not a must be, but nice :)

Return to Minetest Problems