Bug, glitche or something else?

qyron

Bug, glitche or something else?

by qyron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 09:58

I've encountered in some worlds I've played a strange behavior of the game engine where sun won't light up the area surrounding the building I use to spend the night and store excess inventory items. This creates a permanent dark spot in the world.

I can place torches to create light but even so it remains as if it is a permanent night.

Is this a known bug, a glitch or something else? As anyone encountered this behavior? Is there a workaround/fix for it? Finally, if this is something new, what can I do to help solving this?
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.

Currently running Minetest 0.4-13 from Debian Backports.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11

qyron wrote:I've encountered in some worlds I've played a strange behavior of the game engine where sun won't light up the area surrounding the building I use to spend the night and store excess inventory items. This creates a permanent dark spot in the world.

I can place torches to create light but even so it remains as if it is a permanent night.

Is this a known bug, a glitch or something else? As anyone encountered this behavior? Is there a workaround/fix for it? Finally, if this is something new, what can I do to help solving this?

There is a CHANCE it may be a really high float island.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

qyron

by qyron » Wed Oct 30, 2013 14:32

IF it was the case, the permanent shade spot would appear as soon as it generate the world.

The dark spots I've came up with always generate on and around the place where I build my base of operations.

Krock

GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Wed Oct 30, 2013 15:50

Dark worlds happened to me too - just deleted minetest and installed/extracted it again, solved now.
Newest Win32 builds - Find a mod - All my mods
ALL YOUR DONATION ARE BELONG TO PARAMAT (Please support him and Minetest)
New DuckDuckGo !bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Wed Oct 30, 2013 17:00

Dan Duncombe wrote:
qyron wrote:I've encountered in some worlds I've played a strange behavior of the game engine where sun won't light up the area surrounding the building I use to spend the night and store excess inventory items. This creates a permanent dark spot in the world.

There is a CHANCE it may be a really high float island.

No, float islands dont create shadows in the blocks under them.

It happened (its already fixed IIRC) when saplings grow. To fix it just let more saplings grow in the are.
(it should also be fixed when flowing lava disappears on its own, but I havent tested that)

qyron

by qyron » Wed Nov 06, 2013 20:52

Planting saplings does work, however it seems to be somewhat of a temporary solution.

After planting and cutting some trees, the effect seems to be ignored, as the permanent dark spot inhibits the saplings to sprout into full grown trees. Even with torches around, the saplings seem to be unable to grow.

leetelate

by leetelate » Thu Nov 07, 2013 01:45

dig down - i'll bet there is a a big hole under there - i had that happen before - also will happen if you level a mountain, the middle of the mountain will always be dark
MT IS MC'S SMARTER BROTHER
minetest 0.4.8 compiled from latest git on linux mint 15 with qjoypad and wired 360 controller
freeminer, pilztest, buildcraft and next are the idea factories
my minetest page is http://1337318.zymichost.com if zymic isn't down - meh, it is free...

qyron

by qyron » Sat Nov 09, 2013 20:26

That makes some sense. I was, in fact, strip mining a quarry in one world and there was, actually, a large cave underneath my home base in another.

Doesn't make that much sense the game engine keeping a dark spot where it used to be a mountain, if you level it. You remove the light-blocking blocks so... Well, I can cope with some degree of non-sense. After all, Minetest is a work in development, right?

Evergreen

GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 23:33

qyron wrote:That makes some sense. I was, in fact, strip mining a quarry in one world and there was, actually, a large cave underneath my home base in another.

Doesn't make that much sense the game engine keeping a dark spot where it used to be a mountain, if you level it. You remove the light-blocking blocks so... Well, I can cope with some degree of non-sense. After all, Minetest is a work in development, right?
Minetest is always a work in progress.
"Help! I searched for a mod but I couldn't find it!"
http://krock-works.16mb.com/MTstuff/modSearch.php

Return to Minetest Problems