List of important system features to ready Minetest

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:15

madarexxx wrote:
MirceaKitsune wrote:
madarexxx wrote:Not everyone, but many people have netbooks, which doesn't have powerful hardware. Minetest is my primary game on my netbook, and I don't want to see it more lagging!

Which is why I suggested making all advanced features optional settings, which people can enable only if they need to.

Nice idea, but it shall not affect on performance, in minimal effect mode.

I have a really fast machine with awesome graphics, yet even I still can't get performance as fast as Minecraft if GPU computing is putting my machine under stress.

Therefore: What will possibly help is putting in a Maximum draw distance option. It seems to draw really far now that 0.4.4 is out, much farther than my preference(since I am going to need to squint to see stuff that far anyway). I can set the min with - and +, but as far as setting a max, that option should be implemented.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:30

In minetest.conf
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
viewing_range_nodes_max = 240

As of 0.4.4, 240 is the default. Before 0.4.4, it was 160.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:42

Calinou wrote:In minetest.conf
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.

I never knew about this max. Can it be added as an option in-game or in a settings menu?
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:44

rarkenin wrote:

I never knew about this max. Can it be added as an option in-game or in a settings menu?

You can use + and - to control it in-game.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 19:48

PilzAdam wrote:
rarkenin wrote:

You can use + and - to control it in-game.

+ and - control the min for some reason. If I set `viewing_range_nodes_max` to 100, and use - to lower it, and reopen the configuration file, the min is changed. If I have min set to 50 and max set to 200, then + and - start in the ballpark of 50. This is Minetest 0.4.4, original Win32 zip from the official website.

MirceaKitsune

GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Wed Feb 13, 2013 20:48

Two more points marked as resolved in the first post. Particles have existed for a few months, and digging any node causes particles with parts of that texture to come out.

My work on better player physics went upstream today as well, fixing the "basic player physics concern". Air acceleration has been reduced, while diving in water works correctly as well (other big improvements in player movement were done too).

Things are going very nicely, keep it up everyone! I can see more large improvements happening in the near future :D

Previous

Return to Minetest Engine