My fork - ownership of blocks, clans, teleports

Staffs

by Staffs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 08:05

Oh there is another weird thing If i put a teleport on a wall 2 block high i cant teleport i have to jump so my legs are at 2 block high maybe thats supposed to be, but it should'nt be
I love mods :D

jachoo

by jachoo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 20:37

I need propositions for naming convention of clan members ;)

Temporally it is: admin-moderator-member

For "moderator" I propose "guard".

jachoo

by jachoo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 09:27

placki wrote:i can do 1,3,4 + bug1+bug2 if you haven't done that yet.
5. building/placing objects is not allowed outside of owned land if player points on border of owned land. [DONE]

NOOO!!! I did it intentionally!

Imagine that: you have built 16x1600x16 tower (aligned to map grid) and own it. Now, you don't want anyone to "stick" anything to walls or roof!

In my version if anybody want to "stick" blocks to such tower, he must firstly build his own tower next to yours :)

placki

by placki » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:12

If player does not want anybody else to build too close, then (s)he should put more borderstones and do not build on edge...
But preferences can differ... so how about turning this into server option, so server owner can disable/enable building on border?
I guess same thing should be done for teleports: option 1: teleport anywhere, option 2: only when loop exists.

also about proposition 7 (client side teleport):
Server side teleports often do not work, because player position is updated periodically and if player moves too fast server is not notified of player being in teleport position. So maybe add to client sending forced/extra position update to server if entering into teleport range? This would still be bit laggy but would not require client knowing teleport destination and would remove "fast walking past" teleport bug.
Last edited by placki on Fri Oct 28, 2011 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

jachoo

by jachoo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:58

I've almost finished my part ;)

2. Clans - admin / moderators / members - 3 new commands
- /clan-promote <clan> <player> - adds <player> to <clan> and make him its moderator (clan owner command)
- /clan-degrade <clan> <player> - degrades <player> in <clan> from moderator to plain member (clan owner command)
- /clan-info - prints all player's clan membership and priviledges

Also, I added better error info in all clan-related commands.

5. Clan's spawn point - new command: /clan-spawn <clan> - makes your current player positions clan's spawn point (moderator command). If clan member will die, he will respawn at his nearest clan's spawnpoint

bugs:

3. Prohibit mobs destroy clan's terrain [done]
4. Teleports sometimes don't work - client-side teleporting repairs it

---------------

I have objections to bug 6. Maybe better way would be make teleport 2 block high? Making lower teleport more important than higher is not intuitive...

Staffs

by Staffs » Sun Oct 30, 2011 14:11

Maybe the 2 block high one should really BE 2 block high or if not maybe they should just be deleted and use only ground ones !!

jachoo

by jachoo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 16:17

That would need introducing new block interface (multiple blocks as one object). IMO too complex to do it in this fork, such things should be precisely designed in main Minetest branch.

Alternatively, I propose as a workaround just draw teleports on walls half block higher and make them 2x higher.

----

What do you think about naming of clan members: Chief (clan creator/owner) - Guardian (clan moderator) - Member ?
Last edited by jachoo on Sun Oct 30, 2011 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Staffs

by Staffs » Sun Oct 30, 2011 19:00

Chief sound like something with kitchen but yeah that might be nice & original

jachoo

by jachoo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 20:46

I modified teleports. They emit light and are always 100% visible.

------

Code uploaded onto github. I wait for placki's work.
Last edited by jachoo on Sun Oct 30, 2011 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

Staffs

by Staffs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 13:49

EXCELLENT

WST

by WST » Tue Nov 01, 2011 01:10

Can i help please?

Menche

by Menche » Tue Nov 01, 2011 02:14

I think your latest windows build is too old to connect to the server. Could you make another?
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

jachoo

by jachoo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 02:39

I'm planning to publish new windows binaries together with next minetest-jachoo version - after merging with placki's work

WST

by WST » Tue Nov 01, 2011 02:55

Hopefully i will be able to use it, cool

placki

by placki » Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:02

ok, my changes are done.
my git repository is here:
https://github.com/placki/minetest-jachoo

Possible bug:
When clan is removed what happen to its borderstones?
They should all be removed or changed to rock or steelblock.
Huge "foreach block" would be very slow.
But how about adding check to "block load from disk" and "block send to player"? That way removing/changing borderstones of deleted clan would be staggered.

jachoo

by jachoo » Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:41

Well, IMO it's not a big problem because deleting of clan should not be frequent.

For now, it's done this way:
1. Deleted clan is added to 'clans-deleted' list.
2. When any user action is performed on a MapBlock, its clan info is always checked of being on that list.
3. If it is - ownership info is cleared, but borderstones are left.

We can do additional checking of deleted clan on loading MapBlock on server (as you suggest). Then we could remove borderstones from it. I'll think about it.

WST

by WST » Wed Nov 02, 2011 23:24

does that mean i can use it?

jachoo

by jachoo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 01:07

Not yet...

placki

by placki » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58

The simplest solution would be checking for old borderstones from deleted clan before adding new BS. Preventing deploying second BS and displaying error message would be enough and is simple to code. Player has choice then: either find and destroy old BS and build own or find and rename old BS.

@WST: my git has only some patches over jachoo work, new version will be ready only after jachoo merges these changes and adds more fixes.

Staffs

by Staffs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:43

How does clan spawnpoint work ?? It says its done ...

jachoo

by jachoo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 14:47

/clan-spawn <clan name>

Staffs

by Staffs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 19:31

Dont get it i will try later

cisoun

GitHub: cisoun
IRC: cisoun
In-game: cisoun

by cisoun » Mon Nov 07, 2011 02:18

Man you should program portals (like in the game) with all these teleporters!
Not here for a while due to some troubles between my graphic card and Minetest.
Cisoun's Texture Pack | The Conifers Mod (deprecated) | Faenza icons for Minetest |
Website

Staffs

by Staffs » Mon Nov 07, 2011 13:53

It would be hard then there should be a gun too and currently the teleports are programmed just not to work like that

cisoun

by cisoun » Mon Nov 07, 2011 15:16

No, it would be easy. No guns needed!

Just craft two portals then assign them by right click and write something like this : "<portal_name>,<portal_assigned>"
So, when the player goes through the first portal, just memorize his acceleration and teleport him to the second portal. Then, when the player comes out the second portal, just adapt the player's acceleration with the orientation of the second portal.

IMO, it would work almost like the actual teleporter. It just needs a second teleporter and the player's acceleration must be adapted with the position of the second teleporter, otherwise the player will fall straight to the ground (which actually happens).
Cisoun's Texture Pack | The Conifers Mod (deprecated) | Faenza icons for Minetest |
Website

jachoo

by jachoo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 03:22

Hello after quite long break ;)

I'd merged placki's version and... I've added cool new teleport system (as cisoun suggested - they now work like PORTALS :D)

How it works? First, place 2 teleports somewhere. Second, connect them mutually. Third, try them :)

The best effect is when you place 2 'flying' horizontal teleports and jump from large altitude onto one :)

To make it working you must add this line to minetest.conf:
crafted_teleports = 2

There are some weird bugs so we need more testing! Placki, please try upgrading your server :)

placki

by placki » Fri Nov 11, 2011 13:03

Server updated to d7e859a.

cisoun

by cisoun » Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:07

jachoo: AWESOME!! Good work man!!

The only thing is, when the player is teleported, he spawns in front of the second teleporter. You should rotate him in the way that the second teleporter is behind him when he spawns.
Otherwise, setting up the correct positions on the teleporters is pretty annoying but it's so awesome that I don't care!

I'm out to fap to this now.
Website

jachoo

by jachoo » Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:39

cisoun, strange, it should work as you say... Maybe you walked into the teleport from behind it? Setting correct speed and camera orientation is not so trivial, especially that server don't know from where you walked into that teleport (for now, server assumes that you always walk from front of the teleport)

--------
Oh, I forgot to say that I'd changed a little font in the game (for better readability on light background)
Last edited by jachoo on Fri Nov 11, 2011 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

placki

by placki » Fri Nov 11, 2011 19:44

I noticed wrong orientation bug too, it happens when you fall into horizontal teleport on a floor and leave through vertical teleport on a wall. I guess in that case player should always leave with his back to wall teleport. Example of this is in "long jump competition" on pyramid (near top, outside) on placki server.

There are still some things to discuss about teleports, this is result of brief conversation with jachoo:
1) If teleports are paired/looped like portals then maybe view at destination should be displayed? But this would be <b>very</b> cpu expensive for client and this is not a portal game. - so most likely NO.

2) Teleports (in survivor only?) should have small (maybe 1%) malfunction chance, if malfunction happens player would be teleported to random free space (in discovered territory), including other clan territory and of course places above lava or 500 units above ground :P - big YES for now, unless somebody can give reason not to :D

Teleport is very powerful and fastest way to travel, so it should be very expensive and rare. But how exactly should they work?
New server config option "crafted_teleports" can have following values:
0 - all teleports do not work.
1 - teleport work as long as destination has been discovered by any player and has free space (air or similar)
2 - requires 1 and also destination should contain teleport that points back to origin - this is simply teleport pair==loop of 2 teleports.
3 or more - there can be 3 or more teleports set up in loop. For 4 this means there can be A->B->C->D->A. or A->B->C->A. or A->B->A.
Options 2+ require player to enter coordinates carefully, and allow easy targeting of other clan territory - if other clan cooperates and places return/loop teleport. No need to temporary allow other players into clan for teleport setting.

Some other suggested solutions are:
3) Maybe teleport should work as long as there is any teleport at destination, and loops are not necessary - this allows multiple teleports to target single (possibly inactive) teleport. This also allows teleporting into other clan teleport without restrictions (as long as you know where it is).

4) similar to 3) but with restrictions for teleporting to other clan territory. Player must be member of *target clan* at the time he places teleport. Player then could be removed from target clan, but built teleport would still be working for everybody (as long as it is not changed). This would require server to disallow building/targeting teleports to "hostile" clans. This also means that if somebody builds working teleport targeting unowned territory and then territory is claimed by some clan they can have unwelcome visitors (only if they place own teleport close enough to existing target site - very low chance).

5) similar to 3) but disallow teleporting to other clan areas if player is not a member. If you want to teleport into clan XYZ territory you have to be member of XYZ.

Please feel free to comment these ideas and to add your own.
Last edited by placki on Fri Nov 11, 2011 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Engine