Greetings, and question about compiling under Windows 7 64bit

Leifanator

Greetings, and question about compiling under Windows 7 64bit

by Leifanator » Sat Nov 10, 2012 06:14

Hello, I have just registered. I am a small-time programmer who has done (very small and unreleased) work on various projects, the most significant one being editing C++ files on Celestia to enhance things related to graphic rendering and crap - I never released it because I felt that the changes were not significant enough for anyone else to care; but that's off topic.

I enjoy playing Minecraft, but I am becoming frustrated with Mojang's frequent major updates and the lack of ability to edit a closed-source program when I don't like something. I am interested in experimenting with Minetest to see what I can develop within its core code.

It's been a while since I last built C++ projects from source, and I was shocked to discover that Visual Studio 2008 is incompatible with Windows 7. If I am correct, VS-2010 is incompatible with Minetest - I am wondering if anyone recommends a certain C++ compiler that would run on Windows 7 - x64? I have only used Visual Studio in the past, and I am not sure how different others are.

Leifanator

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16

Welcome!

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:46

MinGW. Read the readme here: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest
:D

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Nov 11, 2012 09:07

Leifanator wrote:I enjoy playing Minecraft, but I am becoming frustrated with Mojang's frequent major updates and the lack of ability to edit a closed-source program when I don't like something. I am interested in experimenting with Minetest to see what I can develop within its core code.

Minecraft's license terms allow you to decompile, edit the source and recompile the game using any tool (such as MCP), as long as you don't use it for playing Minecraft without buying it, however you cannot redistribute your changes. (source)

Return to Minetest Engine