Help with UDP?

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Sat Jan 12, 2013 13:26

Here's a link to my files. Everything is still called Minetest instead of Minetest-clienteer.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r5jw2enfq22ullu/CUNvpDLmDL

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:26

Awesome! I'll take a look. Can you try to limit dependencies that aren't needed and maybe make some control over pipes or sockets or something?
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Mon Jan 14, 2013 19:27

rarkenin wrote:Awesome! I'll take a look. Can you try to limit dependencies that aren't needed and maybe make some control over pipes or sockets or something?

Nope. I can just barely get the program to do what I want!
The dependencies are the same as for minetest (so far some Irrlicht functions are still used even though no window is showed.
The second part of your request I just barely understand and can definitely not oblige.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 14:50

Can you compile it into a static library? And a Linux SO, as well as a Windows DLL? I am going to move the processing to a different, but still open-source program.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:38

rarkenin wrote:Can you compile it into a static library? And a Linux SO, as well as a Windows DLL? I am going to move the processing to a different, but still open-source program.

No. Again, I barely know what you are talking about, I'm new at this.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:45

Bot is coming along nicely and can now follow a player, equip items from a chest, and dig.

Its gotten time to deal with an annoying problem: the bot refuses to move outside a certain area. I think this means the nodes outside a certain preloaded area are unknown to the client, and that the bot therefore cannot move there. I've probably commented out some stuff that were important :/

This is what it looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL6F_MDN9NQ

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 00:12

I really think that Minetest needs to expose functions via a library MEANT for such development.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Thu Jan 24, 2013 07:12

rarkenin wrote:I really think that Minetest needs to expose functions via a library MEANT for such development.

Its funny how you claim to know no code and yet manage to express opinions about coding that are way above my understanding of programming.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26

OmniStudent wrote:
rarkenin wrote:I really think that Minetest needs to expose functions via a library MEANT for such development.

Its funny how you claim to know no code and yet manage to express opinions about coding that are way above my understanding of programming.

By "know no code", I don't mean I don't know how to program. It means I don't really understand the intricacies of weird C++ things like typecasting and really finicky pointers. On a high level, I do handles quite a bit of code.

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Thu Jan 24, 2013 20:54

rarkenin wrote:
OmniStudent wrote:

By "know no code", I don't mean I don't know how to program. It means I don't really understand the intricacies of weird C++ things like typecasting and really finicky pointers. On a high level, I do handles quite a bit of code.

Ah that makes sense, that sounds like me too! I'm hoping I'll learn enough as I go along to some day be able to contribute some quality code to the the trunk.

Previous

Return to Minetest Engine