Android port efforts

Casimir

by Casimir » Fri Feb 28, 2014 14:06

It would be good to be able to lock jump and sneak.

stu

GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Sun Mar 02, 2014 22:48

spillz wrote:Re playable, how do you guys do a moving jump? Thumb mash or awkwardly move your other hand across? Would like to have auto jump or option to move jump button to right side of screen.

Martin_Devil wrote:Agreed. Very inconvenient to go and jump at the same time! Just do not pull out.

I see that freeminer has added an auto-jump feature and enabled it by default for android. This is one possible solution, however, I really don't have a problem with jumping, just slide your thumb (or whatever digit you use) between the jump key and forward.

Casimir wrote:It would be good to be able to lock jump and sneak.

Sneak lock is not possible for pc version but something I would also like to have on all platforms.

btw, the apk has been updated, featuring what is 'hopefully' better control pad scaling for higher dpi screens.
I would be interested to see the results as I can only test a very limited range myself.

Note that since this update includes new images, you will need to update your current /sdcard/minetest directory by either
removing it (allowing the app to rebuild it) or making the necessary changes manually, through adb or the device itself.
Last edited by stu on Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

Martin_Devil

GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by Martin_Devil » Thu Mar 06, 2014 05:13

On Galaxy S3 very large control buttons! Almost 1/3 of the screen! As often when the screen is rotated block is placed itself is a bad idea. It would be better to break the block long touch.
MultiCraft Open Sourse Project – https://github.com/multicraftproject

stormchaser3000

by stormchaser3000 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 21:25

:( someone forked this and put it on the play store it is called lime minetest and did not post the source code

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 21:31

stormchaser3000 wrote::( someone forked this and put it on the play store it is called lime minetest and did not post the source code

off to the google play store copyright infringment page we go!
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

CraigyDavi

GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio or CraigyDavi
In-game: davisonio or CraigyDavi

by CraigyDavi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 21:51

stormchaser3000 wrote::( someone forked this and put it on the play store it is called lime minetest and did not post the source code

Post your bad reviews here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Lime.Minetest :D

Please, do not put low evaluation, and write to us at montelime@gmail.com, together we will solve the problem and do Minetest even better!

And shout at them here!

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Fri Mar 07, 2014 06:12

I apologize! This small misunderstanding! We with the colleague wanted to post the source code, my fault: I was a description and not Copesul it. He thought that I finished and posted it. Sincerely apologise to correct that!

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Fri Mar 07, 2014 06:27

Description changed. Wait for the upgrade market. I should clarify that we are not planning to make a game of the subject of earnings, to put ads or remove some functions making them pay. We promote the game.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 16:37

Stu good job. This works great on my Nexus 7. Keep up the good work.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

stu

by stu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 01:30

jojoa1997 wrote:Stu good job. This works great on my Nexus 7. Keep up the good work.

Thanks jojoa, but you should be mostly thanking xyz for this version. I believe sapier is working on a more 'official' version
but I don't like what he is doing to the gui atm, we'll see how it goes.

For now I'm happy playing my own hack which has just recently been updated btw ;-)

Martin_Devil: What part of this did you not understand?
stu wrote:for testing purposes only/ Do not try to run this on anything you are not prepared to break!
Last edited by stu on Sat Mar 08, 2014 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Sat Mar 08, 2014 05:08

stu, I have tested it on many phones. I am well versed in Android, make ROMs, and I am sure that is nothing more than a game to crash happens can't.

hunterdelyx1

by hunterdelyx1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 20:10

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
That's what i got on my tab 3 7.0".

I used both apk from this topic and builded by myself.

If you need logs or something i can provide it. But it looks like one famous irrlicht bug...
Last edited by hunterdelyx1 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Still waiting for utf 8 minetest formspec support, looking at freeminer.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Tue Mar 11, 2014 20:30

hunterdelyx1 wrote:[spoiler]http://cs616420.vk.me/v616420429/7094/2xGfUPzPir0.jpg
http://cs616420.vk.me/v616420429/709d/qOse41uvmOU.jpg[/spoiler]

If you need logs or something i can provide it. But it looks like one famous irrlicht bug...
Had this before on a system which seems to be missing a certain OpenGL feature.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

stu

by stu » Tue Mar 11, 2014 21:53

hunterdelyx1 wrote:[spoiler]http://cs616420.vk.me/v616420429/7094/2xGfUPzPir0.jpg

Interesting, have you tried any of the other ports? eg sapier's or that other fork
Last edited by stu on Tue Mar 11, 2014 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

hunterdelyx1

by hunterdelyx1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 05:19

stu wrote:

Interesting, have you tried any of the other ports? eg sapier's or that other fork

I tried "Lime minetest" but it crashes on startup loading( black screen before menu ).

I builded sapier's port. I have the same problem with it as with yours.
Still waiting for utf 8 minetest formspec support, looking at freeminer.

thetoon

by thetoon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 08:31

Kudos stu, the latest apk works like a charm on my Nexus 4. Most of the previous glitches I've seen are gone, and I'm fond of the controls like they are now : swipe to look around, long-click to dig, short-click to build. Small lags between chunk generation are gone too. I even got used to running-and-jumping (tip of the thumb on the up arrow, and when in need of jump just lower the whole thumb).

spillz

by spillz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 02:01

Hate to be the one bursting bubbles, but having tested the various APKs on a few devices now (nexus 7 I, galaxy note 2, memo pad HD 7) there is still a lot of work to do. Controls need a lot of tuning and while I can get a decent frame rate on all devices (20 to 40 fps) the draw distance s***s b***s (20 to 40 nodes). I get a solid 150+ node draw distances on both minecraft PE and Survival craft on all 3 devices, which even my Linux PC struggles with on minetest. So much for the superiority of a C++ engine. ;)

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Mar 15, 2014 03:54

spillz wrote:Hate to be the one bursting bubbles, but having tested the various APKs on a few devices now (nexus 7 I, galaxy note 2, memo pad HD 7) there is still a lot of work to do. Controls need a lot of tuning and while I can get a decent frame rate on all devices (20 to 40 fps) the draw distance s***s b***s (20 to 40 nodes). I get a solid 150+ node draw distances on both minecraft PE and Survival craft on all 3 devices, which even my Linux PC struggles with on minetest. So much for the superiority of a C++ engine. ;)

I take it that the number of visible polygons is not the sole fps dropper with Minetest?
Last edited by Inocudom on Sat Mar 15, 2014 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 09:32

spillz wrote:I get a solid 150+ node draw distances on both minecraft PE and Survival craft on all 3 devices

MCPE and Survivalcraft where written with mobile device performance in mind, you can't expect something that was originally made for PC to just work on mobile devices like software that was designed for them.

spillz

by spillz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:22

sfan5 wrote:MCPE and Survivalcraft where written with mobile device performance in mind, you can't expect something that was originally made for PC to just work on mobile devices like software that was designed for them.

Well aware and had no such expectation it would work out of the box. As I said, "there is still a lot of work to do" - it is called feedback and the last line was (mostly) a joke, hence the ;). Probably bugs that need fixing and performance tuning needed in irrlicht-android too.

stu

by stu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 17:19

To add to sfan5's comments, I would also point out that MCPE is not the same as Minecraft, AFAIK you cannot play on MC servers.
This (when finished) will be as fully featured as the pc game. I realize that performance will not be great on lower end devices atm, however, with mobile technology advancing at the rate it is, It is only a matter of time before performance levels for the average phone will reach that of your pc.
Already my 60 Euro tablet outer performs my old p4 desktop with onboard vga.

I do appreciate all feedback and agree that there is still a lot that could be done to improve performance in the short term, for both mobile and pc versions of minetest.
Last edited by stu on Sat Mar 15, 2014 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

celeron55

by celeron55 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 17:04

If somebody is interested in improving Minetest's performance on whatever hardware it happens to perfporm poorly on:

Here are three important bottlenecks in Minetests rendering at the moment:

• 1) Texture switches: The texture atlas was removed about a year ago because it was buggy, nobody was interested in fixing it and nobody realized it was actually pretty damn useful. However, in situations when there are a ton of different nodes to render at the same time (any city or forest with variation or almost any interesting place whatsoever), it can make a difference. Doing a comparison is simple: just define the textures of every node in the game to be the same (which auto-generated texture atlases effectively do from the hardware standpoint) and see how FPS differs from when they're not the same. The solution to this is to bring back auto-generated texture atlases. This affects GPUs quite variedly and unpredictably.
  • 2) Data transfer to the GPU: Currently zero data is stored on the GPU (doing such is often called using a VBO). It can be enabled, but due to how Irrlicht handles them and how Minetest manages meshes, there are memory consumption issues. This certainly affects high-end GPUs; however I don't know about mobile devices. Somebody should test it on those. It affects GPUs that draw faster than the interface they are sitting on transfers data.
  • 3) Drawing of nodeboxes that are buried underground: There is no code to detect such ones and thus they are fully drawn. On maps that have underground pipes and such, this raises the general vertex count, and due to all of them probably using different textures, the effect of this is multiplied by (1). Thus fixing (1) makes this a lot less important.

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Mar 16, 2014 18:46

celeron55 wrote:If somebody is interested in improving Minetest's performance on whatever hardware it happens to perfporm poorly on:

• 1) Texture switches: The texture atlas was removed about a year ago because it was buggy, nobody was interested in fixing it and nobody realized it was actually pretty damn useful. However, in situations when there are a ton of different nodes to render at the same time (any city or forest with variation or almost any interesting place whatsoever), it can make a difference. Doing a comparison is simple: just define the textures of every node in the game to be the same (which auto-generated texture atlases effectively do from the hardware standpoint) and see how FPS differs from when they're not the same. The solution to this is to bring back auto-generated texture atlases. This affects GPUs quite variedly and unpredictably.
  • 2) Data transfer to the GPU: Currently zero data is stored on the GPU (doing such is often called using a VBO). It can be enabled, but due to how Irrlicht handles them and how Minetest manages meshes, there are memory consumption issues. This certainly affects high-end GPUs; however I don't know about mobile devices. Somebody should test it on those. It affects GPUs that draw faster than the interface they are sitting on transfers data.
  • 3) Drawing of nodeboxes that are buried underground: There is no code to detect such ones and thus they are fully drawn. On maps that have underground pipes and such, this raises the general vertex count, and due to all of them probably using different textures, the effect of this is multiplied by (1). Thus fixing (1) makes this a lot less important.

Have you ever tested the VBO feature that Freeminer has, celeron55? I wish I could test it myself, but builds of that fork of Minetest are not very common.

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun Mar 16, 2014 20:19

Inocudom wrote:
celeron55 wrote:If somebody is interested in improving Minetest's performance on whatever hardware it happens to perfporm poorly on:

Have you ever tested the VBO feature that Freeminer has, celeron55? I wish I could test it myself, but builds of that fork of Minetest are not very common.

Actually me and celeron55 created the VBO patch together, but it has memory leaks so it isnt in master.

spillz

by spillz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 23:10

A few issues with stu's latest android build, tested on a few servers with a bunch of mods enabled. probably should be surprised that it works at all...

1. Starting a client, app hangs on main screen trying play if I click connect instead of pressing enter on the password dialog.

2. Crash if trying to connect to a server with wifi disabled (oops)

3. Unified inventory mod doesn't appear to work correctly. Most buttons unresponsive.

4. Lots of actions don't work (e.g. punching mobs doesn't kill them, door won't open, many blocks can't be placed, mining items doesn't add them to inventory). It should just be tap screen to use right?

5. What happened to my rails! :)

The Lime Minetest guy is a total tool for posting his fork to google play.
Last edited by spillz on Mon Mar 17, 2014 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

spillz

by spillz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 23:20

stu wrote:To add to sfan5's comments, I would also point out that MCPE is not the same as Minecraft, AFAIK you cannot play on MC servers.
This (when finished) will be as fully featured as the pc game.

That's true, but MC pocket still supports local multiplayer. If you are playing on a server that's taking a lot of load off the mobile device. But performance needs to be better than it is, but I'm confident you guys will get there!

I do appreciate all feedback and agree that there is still a lot that could be done to improve performance in the short term, for both mobile and pc versions of minetest.

Hopefully celeron55's tips will prove fruitful.

Is the buggy code for the texture atlas still around? That sounds like a promising place to start. EDIT: here's the commit that removed it: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/commit/8161ab573fd6f8a45b3986278ce7fc1596140526
Last edited by spillz on Tue Mar 18, 2014 00:48, edited 1 time in total.

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Tue Mar 18, 2014 05:33

See, the game will go far. I communicate with different people, looking for a way normal unpacking assets. I will share the results here.
UPD: Don't work on more models. Galaxy S2 and S4 too.

Martin_Devil

by Martin_Devil » Tue Mar 18, 2014 05:38

Please, look this:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.Lime.Minetest/android.app.NativeActivity}: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to find native library: Minetest
at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2059)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2084)
at android.app.ActivityThread.access$600(ActivityThread.java:130)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1195)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4745)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:786)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:553)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to find native library: Minetest
at android.app.NativeActivity.onCreate(NativeActivity.java:198)
at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:5008)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1079)
at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:2023)
... 11 more

stu

by stu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 19:45

Martin_Devil wrote:Please, look this:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.Lime.Minetest/android.app.NativeActivity}: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to find native library: Minetest

Looks like the same problem Vanessa was having, you should maybe try sapier's version, It looks like that will become the 'official' version sometime soon (TM)
I will probably continue this at my leisure since it's a good learning exercise, also I don't like the UI of sapier's version and would have preferred to stay clear of java (that's not such a big deal though)

spillz: Thanks for the updates, I will look into those issues you mention. Some of them may have already fixed in my android_rebase branch, you could check that out but beware that the screen pointer no longer works in multi-player (at least not for me) this is due to #062de11
Also note that I added cURL support, although it does not crash, I am still not seeing the online server list YMMV please let me know if you try it.

btw, these changes are not in the current apk. You would need to build it yourself.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 19:47

stu wrote:It looks like that will become the 'official' version sometime soon (TM)

Everyone ignores my version :-(

PreviousNext

Return to Minetest Engine