Sleepy Time Chocolate Milk

OldCoder
Administrator

Sleepy Time Chocolate Milk

by OldCoder » Tue Aug 28, 2018 00:14

Sleepy Time Chocolate Milk by Slopsbucket

Some days you wake up and the whole world just seems absolutely perfect.

I had a good healthy feed last night. I got my favourite 9 1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It wasn't freezing cold when I woke up. And I've got a day with absolutely no prior commitments.

I've had my morning litre of proper coffee and a couple of cones. I'm sitting in my big cushy reclining chair with my keyboard on my lap. The only noise is the occasional tweet of a bird.

Life just doesn't get any better than this!

I thought I should share my special chocolate milk I make myself when I need a really good night's sleep. Yes, I like hot cocoa, too, but I don't live in the right climate for it. It'd be a lot easier to make hot though.

In a huge coffee mug:

2 heaped teaspoons of sugar
2 heaped teaspoons of 100% pure cocoa
1 level teaspoon of custard powder
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg

Add just a tiny splash of milk first and make a thick paste with all ingredients. Be careful to not add too much milk; you need the surface tension of the paste to force everything to mix.

Stir that paste until it goes smooth and silky, Then start add milk until the mug is full.

The nutmeg is a mild soporific. It's one that your body gets used to very quickly so it doesn't work if you use it all the time, but if you have it rarely, it does well enough.

I learned this because of Mum. When she was going through menopause, she refused to use any sort of artificial hormone replacement therapy. Instead, she got seriously into herb lore and turned the back yard into a pharmacopoeia.

Return to Recipes