[Mod] Lava Suit [0.1.0] [lavasuit]

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 04:10

How about a version of this for falling?
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Sat Jan 19, 2013 04:13

Chinchow wrote:How about a version of this for falling?

That would be *very* difficult to do (if not plain impossible) in the current scheme of things.
Once minetest has an API to determine what caused damage to player, these things will be trivial to make.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 04:21

All right well good work nonetheless. will you think about my other lava suit ideas?

kaeza

by kaeza » Sat Jan 19, 2013 05:02

Chinchow wrote:All right well good work nonetheless. will you think about my other lava suit ideas?

Of course. Those are pretty neat ideas :)
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 13:01

Thank you

kaeza

by kaeza » Thu Feb 28, 2013 18:17

This mod will be discontinued in it's current form.
It will be part of survival_modpack.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 19:40

Make it show the armor like armor_plus
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Fri Mar 01, 2013 00:07

PilzAdam wrote:Suggestion:
Dont restore the health when in lava but override the default:lava and remove damage_per_second. Then use an abm to damage players in lava that dont have the lava suit.

That's what I was thinking. It'd be really nice if we got a LOT more control over the damage system. It was a neat idea to unify damage with the digging of blocks, but it absolutely cripples a ton of extensibility possibilities that we'd otherwise have at our fingertips from Lua. It would probably have been better to go the OTHER way and give each node a HP rating. That would be more useful than param1 and param2, and nodes have those....

Also, from a performance POV it might work better to use minetest.after() instead of an ABM. There are bound to be a lot fewer players than there are blocks of lava. So iterate over all the connected players and test whether there is lava at their current position (or the block above for the head); if so, apply damage to them. Or better yet, instead of testing for just lava, introduce a new GROUP for DPS that can be handled from Lua instead of the core engine. Then add a callback function registration system for the mod....
Last edited by prestidigitator on Fri Mar 01, 2013 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

by kaeza » Fri Mar 01, 2013 00:29

The Lava Suit in survival_modpack already implements something similar to what PilzAdam suggested (overrides the lava nodes, but uses a timer similar than that for the oxygen instead of an ABM).
This mod is gone now. Moderators feel free to close this topic.
Thank you for your comments :)
Last edited by kaeza on Fri Mar 01, 2013 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Return to WIP Mods