[MOD] fixed birthstones [birthstones]

12Me21

[MOD] fixed birthstones [birthstones]

by 12Me21 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 14:17

The original birthstones mod is really cool, but unfortunately, it suffers from a number of problems:

-The months are wrong.
-Textures are really "blobby" and lack detail.
-Opal ore doesn't generate
-Code is not written very well

My changes:
Improved Textures (I'm really happy with my Amethyst texture, I think I got the color right!)
Improved Ore Generation
Fixed months
Changed 2 of the stones (Alexandrite -> Pearl, Zircon -> Turquoise)

I need some help with some things, though:
-Getting "pearl ore" (oysters) generate in sand
-Possibly some help with textures, I can't seem to make a good oyster texture, so I had to temporarily resort to using scaled down images :(
-Suggestions for new features

Should I add a gem polisher, and polished/cut versions of the gems? I was thinking about it at first, but now that I have some textures, I think the crystals would look better (like in real life).

Progress:
Blocks: 80%
-Need to set hardness
Ores: 50%
-Set rarities
-Make "pearl ore" generate in sand
Textures: 5%
-Make block textures
-Make ore textures
-Make item textures (except Garnet and Amethyst)

I can't post the stuff right now because my chromebook does not want to open the zipped file.
Last edited by 12Me21 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

LazerRay

GitHub: LazerRay

Re: [MOD] fixed birthstones [birthstones]

by LazerRay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 14:36

I used the old version of the Birthstones mod a while back and found other issues with it.

1. You couldn't turn the gem blocks back into their gem forms

2. There where no crafting options other than blocks (tools, swords, armor, and other things would be nice)

3. The gems were not cross compatible with ones from other mods or ones from base game (Birthstone diamonds couldn't be used like default diamonds for example)

Hopefully when this mod gets a much needed overhaul, I will use it again, old version was just too buggy.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 15:41

LazerRay wrote:I used the old version of the Birthstones mod a while back and found other issues with it.

1. You couldn't turn the gem blocks back into their gem forms

2. There where no crafting options other than blocks (tools, swords, armor, and other things would be nice)

3. The gems were not cross compatible with ones from other mods or ones from base game (Birthstone diamonds couldn't be used like default diamonds for example)

Hopefully when this mod gets a much needed overhaul, I will use it again, old version was just too buggy.

Do you think I should just remove diamonds from birthstones, and just change the texture for default to match the style of the rest? Or should I allow you to convert between them?

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 20:53

I like the idea of switching back and forth with them, its already done with other things in Minetest (Like how Sand and Dessert Sand can be swapped).

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 00:09

LazerRay wrote:I like the idea of switching back and forth with them, its already done with other things in Minetest (Like how Sand and Dessert Sand can be swapped).

Ok.

Do you think I should add a gem cutter/polisher, that turns the natural crystals into cut/polished versions? It would be a block, like a furnace, where you put in the uncut version, and it would give you the cut/polished version

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 14:36

That sounds interesting, you could even have different cut styles for the gems.

This might open up more ideas and features down the road.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 15:51

LazerRay wrote:That sounds interesting, you could even have different cut styles for the gems.

This might open up more ideas and features down the road.

The problem is, I already have 12*5=60 textures to make, though the tools will be a lot easier since I can just change the color. Should I add swords?

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 14:57

Swords would be easy to add too, since you can easily change the textures on them.

And it wouldn't be that difficult for gem based armor and shields (when using the 3D Armor mod), again its just recolored textures.

It also might be fun to set the mod up with a system for other people to add stuff to it, and to work with other mods (like More Blocks for micro-blocks and slopes).

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 16:08

The problem is, I never use the pickaxes or axes in the original mod, so I don't want to make more useless items that need textures.

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 14:59

You can put a hold on the tools for now, until more people request them.

When it comes to gem swords and armor, they can have similar stats, only the look would be different.

I looked in the code for More Blocks and mods that support it, they just use the block texture for the micro-blocks and slopes, so that saves a lot of time editing textures. (Although if you haven't made the block textures yet, a suggestion is to have them translucent with connected textures support, instead of solid)

davidthecreator

In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Sat Mar 21, 2015 16:15

I Think sand should have amber instead of pearls or have shells and the pearls should be crafted out of shells

LazerRay

by LazerRay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 15:04

While looking through items added by other mods, I found several gems in Glooptest that might overlap with this mod, again just adding a swap craft recipe should solve the issue.

The gems are Amethyst, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, and Topaz, in case any of them might be on the list.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 20:49

LazerRay wrote:While looking through items added by other mods, I found several gems in Glooptest that might overlap with this mod, again just adding a swap craft recipe should solve the issue.

The gems are Amethyst, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, and Topaz, in case any of them might be on the list.

A swap recipe will only be good if they are both the same rarity, I'll have to check. (I haven't done much work on this lately, because I've been really busy with other stuff_

asanetargoss

by asanetargoss » Mon May 04, 2015 01:07

It would be nice if this mod could be backwards-compatible with worlds which used the original mod. For instance, register aliases for birthstone stuff whose names have changed, and perhaps add Opal as a secondary drop for the deprecated Alexandrite ore, but change Alexandrite ore to look like pearl ore.

In terms of additional features, I'm inclined to say, "keep it simple," at least for the initial release. It's hard to justify the time spent for all those textures if their sole purpose is aesthetic, and useful features for birthstones could literally be anything: lasers, magic wands, redundant tools and armor, tools and armor with random magical properties, et cetra. The things that come to my mind feel like they're better for other mods.

One feature that could be useful to add would be dyes.

poikilos

GitHub: poikilos
In-game: poikilos

by poikilos » Sun Feb 12, 2017 07:40

asanetargoss wrote:It would be nice if this mod could be backwards-compatible with worlds which used the original mod. For instance, register aliases for birthstone stuff whose names have changed, and perhaps add Opal as a secondary drop for the deprecated Alexandrite ore, but change Alexandrite ore to look like pearl ore.

In terms of additional features, I'm inclined to say, "keep it simple," at least for the initial release. It's hard to justify the time spent for all those textures if their sole purpose is aesthetic, and useful features for birthstones could literally be anything: lasers, magic wands, redundant tools and armor, tools and armor with random magical properties, et cetra. The things that come to my mind feel like they're better for other mods.

One feature that could be useful to add would be dyes.

I just made a fork of the original birthstones which has all standard tools (I plan to work on armor & improved textures), fixes bugs, has standardized variable and filenames, aliases for full backward compatibility with worlds using Doc22 birthstones, removed incorrect month names, corrected month list included in mod (only available to users online here currently), craft diamond from blue dye + "white diamond" to allow crafting stuff for other mods:
Download: https://github.com/poikilos/minetest-birthstones/archive/master.zip
or Browse: github.com/poikilos/minetest-birthstones

Return to WIP Mods