Some Mod Packaging ideas..

RAPHAEL

Some Mod Packaging ideas..

by RAPHAEL » Fri Mar 02, 2012 04:14

Well I decided to point out a few things and make some suggestions for mod developers. Pretty simple really.

I suggest packaging in either zip or 7z. The reason for suggesting zip is all operating systems should be able to unpack it by default. I suggest 7z because it compresses very well.

Also I think all mods need to include a VERSION file containing the version of it as well as changes. I need to do same with my mods. I've noticed it rather hard to tell what version one has installed.

Also all devs of mods need to get together and work out a standard packaging theme for consistency. Right now it could be rather confusing to someone fairly new to minetest and modding to download and install a mod.

A mod repo is a good idea as well. A mod package manager that is cross platform that works would also be good. Preferably with a GUI and dependency checking. Anyone with the capability of offering a central long term repository for mod packages that can be accessed via browser and potential future package manager?

I also suggest creating screenshots of crafting recipes. The way Mesecons post is laid out is rather nice in this respect. However I'd suggest more space between screenshots so users don't get confused which text description goes to which screenshot.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 05:01

+2 good idea!
and a repo for mods would require a dedicated server of some kind. maybe when i get my full-time server running we could look into something like this.
and screenshots would only be usefull if they were all in one file. unless you wont to open 10 pdfs switching back and forthXD if they were all in one file it would be extremely usefull. like a recipe book( ive suggested this ).
Last edited by Death Dealer on Fri Mar 02, 2012 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and code python^_^

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Fri Mar 02, 2012 06:39

Death Dealer wrote:+2 good idea!
and a repo for mods would require a dedicated server of some kind. maybe when i get my full-time server running we could look into something like this.
and screenshots would only be usefull if they were all in one file. unless you wont to open 10 pdfs switching back and forthXD if they were all in one file it would be extremely usefull. like a recipe book( ive suggested this ).

screenshots would be likely in png format and embedded or linked to in mod post
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

redcrab

by redcrab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 09:10

Very nice idea ...
Mods here and there are unmanageable...
I feel often lost with all these mods that are stored here download there, with too often no real version management..
That's a big issue for me, not to be able to make a server as stable as possible..
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

JSonic

by JSonic » Fri Mar 02, 2012 13:07

+1. This is an excellent idea.
Stairs are cool!
Minetest-c55 for Puppy Linux
Minetest-c55 PPA: daily, stable

J0nnJ0nes

by J0nnJ0nes » Sat Mar 03, 2012 09:59

Ummmm... it's already been suggested and most ppl ignored it. I've been trying to push for it for a while now. There is already a mod manager, although relatively abandoned. Version numbers are the only hitch at the moment: Someone needs to make a patch for minetest version listing. I've suggested ways to have dedicated repos for user-made mods. I'm guessing maybe no one is willing and able to manage a mod repo atm. Here's all the prior info:

-Mod Manager (read well): http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=618
-Version Number Listing Question: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1127
-Version Number Development Request: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1135

P.S.: 7z does not preserve permissions. Zip sucks. Either make a tar and then put it in a 7zip, or use .txz/.tar.xz .
Last edited by J0nnJ0nes on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 14:59

im makng a pdf of every thing i use. will post soon:D
Last edited by Death Dealer on Sat Mar 03, 2012 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and code python^_^

jordan4ibanez

GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Sat Mar 03, 2012 16:00

git hub :D
If you can think it, you can make it.

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Sat Mar 03, 2012 19:11

J0nnJ0nes wrote:P.S.: 7z does not preserve permissions. Zip sucks. Either make a tar and then put it in a 7zip, or use .txz/.tar.xz .
Not everyone uses Linux based operating systems. If so I'd suggest tar.bz2

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 20:27

If you are in windows and can use 7z it's because you have 7-zip installed, and if you have 7-zip installed you can uncompress tar.gz's, I think. I don't know if there are other windows programs able to uncompress 7z...

Edit: There is also tar.7z :D
Last edited by cosarara97 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
:D

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Sat Mar 03, 2012 20:36

WinRAR.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

cosarara97

by cosarara97 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 22:04

WinRAR is not free...
:D

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Sat Mar 03, 2012 22:11

Jordach wrote:WinRAR.

WinRAR is gaye.. 7zip rules

sdzen

by sdzen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 22:45

hamster zip!
Last edited by sdzen on Sat Mar 03, 2012 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
[h]Zen S.D.[/h] The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 01:07

FYZip is the best I found so far. Free, reliable, and unzips everything I have come to download so far. It works better than winrar (for me). (Yes I use windows)

Return to WIP Mods