[Mod] Simple Sprint [simple_sprint]

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

[Mod] Simple Sprint [simple_sprint]

by everamzah » Sat May 28, 2016 13:44

Hold AUX1 (Use key, [E] by default) to move twice as fast. Let go to return to normal walking speed.

I made this mod to demonstrate the problem with anticheat. This mod will work as expected as long as the sprinter has the fast priv, otherwise the anticheat will reset the position resulting in constant glitchy movement.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/4108 "Requesting override of on_cheat via mods"
git repo hosted at GitHub
License: WTFPL
Attachments
simple_sprint.zip
(823 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

Re: [Mod] Simple Sprint [simple_sprint]

by DS-minetest » Sat May 28, 2016 18:54

I dont like anticheat. because of it you sometimes have to wait over a minute for placing or digging nodes or you die because that, what you built, disappears again and you fall into lava. in my opinion, it should be disabled standardly. is it such a big problem, when someone cheats?
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

everamzah

GitHub: everamzah
IRC: everamzah
In-game: everamzah

by everamzah » Sun Jul 03, 2016 18:15

I was unaware that anticheat causes additional latency to such a degree.

Is it a problem when someone cheats? I think that depends on the context. The interacted_too_far cheat detection is the one that interests me the most. I have experienced players attacking me from great distances, as if they were locked on (hooked). I believe it was a cheat that may have been caught, if anticheat hadn't been disabled.

Another issue I personally have is that players travelling very fast, at any altitude, are able to load many more map blocks than "regular" (re: non-cheating) players. Additionally, I feel there may be two main reason to cheat: 1) To get items faster than others. 2) To dominate other players. The first one is not such a big deal, so what if they're able to see diamonds through transparent textures, and dig them before they can be available to anyone else.

What bothers me is 2) where they're able to dominate players more than a non-cheating player could dominate. When the playing field is equal, checks and balances can be better made. I am not a fan of moderation, and if the only solution to a cheating player is to kick/ban them, then that is no solution at all. If the player is able to cheat, then they're likely able to circumvent a ban too.

So is cheating that big of a deal in Minetest? I don't think so, but I bet there are some who no longer play who thought otherwise.

Fixerol

IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixerol » Wed Nov 09, 2016 17:02

Return to WIP Mods