[mod] Realtime Elevators [elevator]

shacknetisp

GitHub: shacknetisp
IRC: behalebabo
In-game: beha

[mod] Realtime Elevators [elevator]

by shacknetisp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 13:15

This mod provides stable entity-based elevators for fast vertical travel without teleportation.
Current I've only written recipes for use with technic and homedecor/chains, so if anyone would like to make a pull request with default-compatible recipes that would be appreciated.

This mod has been live on Survival in Ethereal for a couple weeks, and has been tested by several players there.

Requires a version of Minetest Engine newer than 0.4.15 for best usage, though it is compatible with 0.4.15-release. Development began with a version from 2017-03-07.

Last edited by shacknetisp on Sun Mar 26, 2017 14:32, edited 4 times in total.

TheReaperKing

Re: [mod] Realtime Elevators [elevator]

by TheReaperKing » Wed Mar 22, 2017 16:35

Looks interesting!
Project Lead of the Doom 3 Mod Last Man Standing - http://Doom3Coop.com

Project Lead of Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker - http://SandboxGameMaker.com

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/PlatinumArtsKids

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Thu Mar 23, 2017 17:18

is it smooth? if yes i need it!
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

shacknetisp

by shacknetisp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 21:15

In singleplayer it is quite smooth. I have not tested on a very powerful server, but even with lag it is generally smooth, and it works without losing much (if any) speed, which is one of the most important features.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Fri Mar 24, 2017 14:38

just perfect!
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
Hi, my username is azekill_DIABLO and i'm an exelent bug-maker(yeah...i know...i have a bad reputation)

azekill_DIABLO said: Mineyoshi+ABJ+Baggins= TOPIC HIJACKED.
My Mods and Stuff | Voxellar | VoxBox on GITHUB | M.I.L.A Monster engine
WEIRD MODDING CONTEST !!!

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:47

Cool! I like it!
You should make the player bigger (with set_properties) when you attach it.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

shacknetisp

by shacknetisp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 14:08

DS-minetest wrote:Cool! I like it!
You should make the player bigger (with set_properties) when you attach it.

Thanks & done!

Cage

by Cage » Sat Mar 25, 2017 23:51

I have a problem and a question.

First if I right click on the elevator I get this error which crashes the game....

2017-03-25 16:05:47: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: Lua: Runtime error from mod 'elevator' in callback item_OnPlace(): .minetest/mods/elevator/init.lua:456: attempt to call method 'get_pos' (a nil value)
2017-03-25 16:05:47: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2017-03-25 16:05:47: ERROR[Main]: .minetest/mods/elevator/init.lua:456: in function 'on_rightclick'
2017-03-25 16:05:47: ERROR[Main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:337: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:330>

I am using the latest stable release.

The question is how exactly to you set up and use the elevator. I know you need the motor at the top and the shafts between. There are two elevator nodes, one that looks like the elevator and the other that looks like a shaft until the motor is attached. Then it turns into the elevator node. Not sure if I am setting this up correctly nor how to make the elevator work once it is set up. Can you elaborate on how to set up and use the mod. Thanks in advance.

shacknetisp

by shacknetisp » Sun Mar 26, 2017 02:54

Cage wrote:First if I right click on the elevator I get this error which crashes the game....

I'm unable to reproduce this, are you using any other mods? What exact steps can you use to do it again? By stable, do you mean 0.4.15? Please remember to update the mod before trying again.

Cage wrote:The question is how exactly to you set up and use the elevator. I know you need the motor at the top and the shafts between. There are two elevator nodes, one that looks like the elevator and the other that looks like a shaft until the motor is attached. Then it turns into the elevator node. Not sure if I am setting this up correctly nor how to make the elevator work once it is set up. Can you elaborate on how to set up and use the mod. Thanks in advance.

Once there are at least two elevators connected to the shaft and the motor is attached, they can be used. You can enter one of the elevators, right click on it, and travel to any other elevator on the shaft.

Melkor

by Melkor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 03:24

can anyone upload a video of the mod working?

Cage

by Cage » Sun Mar 26, 2017 04:24

I'm unable to reproduce this, are you using any other mods? What exact steps can you use to do it again? By stable, do you mean 0.4.15? Please remember to update the mod before trying again.

Yes I am using other mods but the ones I thought might be causing the problem weren't the ones. I can place the elevators and shaft node, right click on the elevators and the formspec comes up. It says that the elevator is inactive. I type in the name for the elevator and all is okay. After I place the motor on top of the upper elevator they activate. Then that is were the problem comes in. I go into the elevator and right click, then the game crashes. Error say that the player location detection is a nil value. By stable I did mean 0.4.15. I re-downloaded the mod, removed the one in the game and reinstalled it again. Same results.

DS-minetest

GitHub: DS-Minetest
In-game: DS

by DS-minetest » Sun Mar 26, 2017 09:18

@Cage: Try editing the "get_pos" to "getpos" in file.
Do not call me -minetest.
Call me DS or DS-minetest.
I am German, so you don't have to pm me English if you are also German.
The background is a lie.

shacknetisp

by shacknetisp » Sun Mar 26, 2017 14:29

I've changed that now and confirmed it works with 0.4.15-stable. There are still some problems with how 0.4.15 release handles double-height nodes, but it is now possible to use and will improve with the next release of Minetest.

Cage

by Cage » Sun Mar 26, 2017 21:12

Thank you sir, that did the trick and it works great. Keep up the great work.

Andrey01

In-game: Andrey01

by Andrey01 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 17:05

Wow, nice!Have you made real elevators?I will try it.Will new views of elevators?For example, steel elevator or wooden elevator

Return to WIP Mods