Books

Demostan

Books

by Demostan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 20:03

Can someone make a mod when you craft paper you can write on it,and when you craft book's you write on them(or some mod's that have a lot of crafting involved can include this mod so that in that book there's crafting recepie's),and bookcase's...well when you craft the special one's is:
(w-wood|B-book|P-special paper)
---------
WWW | So if your still interested in this mod you might say"what's the difference between book's and paper"well...
B P B| ---------------------------------------------------------
WWW | |Book-has 5 page's of writable material |
--------- |Paper-has only 3 pages of writable material |
| Bookcases can hold 3 books |
----------------------------------------------------------

and i know this mod is really farfeched,but if everybody that is great at modding come;s forth and chipe's in we can make it possible(I mean look at the possibility's,some of the best literary genius'(like myself)can write stories Like:The tales of Minetest,The stories of c55 or Murder in the redcrab lane)or something like that* awkward silence*...well gentleman until next time pip-pip,jolly good,say hello to your mother and TALLYHOOOO***END OF TRANSMITTION**THAT GUY IS WEIRD***
Last edited by Demostan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
When you have a dream you never,ever,ever let it go.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 20:37

Until the modding API becomes better, it's impossible. The only thing that could even come close to this is the Poison mod, and that only let us use inventory items (nowhere near making a whole writable piece of paper). The only way to implement this is to hack some C++ code, and I don't think we want to do that.
My mods: The Nether | Doctor Who (WIP)

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 02:59

Spoilsport.

It's possible for the text of placed items ("item description") to be parsed from files, but unless people would like to look at *stickynotes*, I'm not sure if it's doable.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

Switch5681

by Switch5681 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:01

Let me start this with a 'I've not looked at any of the source code for anything minetest related, except browsing an lua script for recipes here and there.'

I believe I read that the rollback mod was storing user action data in separate files, so storing the description data in a data file should be easy enough.

Making that data editable and readable on the screen, on the other hand, will probably require some description interface changes in the core engine.

I think the best course of action to change as little as possible would be to the description editing window (already used for making signs) to make it better handle multiple pages and then maybe give it an edit mode toggle/buttons of some sort.

Maybe an option to make the description viewable outside the edit window or not (if you're using the same functions as the signs, having a page or more of description could be messy on the screen at a glance.)

Finally, you'd have to give access to the description editing functionality to the modding api.
Last edited by Switch5681 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:15

Gee. I think I've written something similar to this for a game in Scratch - ah, yes. Looks like I had been storing the pages as strings and parsing them, and used chat commands to scroll - not the best method, but it worked.

What would be nice would be to write a python parser that hooks into a web interface to allow for editing from a browser - much, much less messy than hacking stuff into sourcecode.

*muttermuttermutter*

I'm retreating to my cave to see if it ain't jus possible.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:

Switch5681

by Switch5681 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:43

tinoesroho wrote:Gee. I think I've written something similar to this for a game in Scratch - ah, yes. Looks like I had been storing the pages as strings and parsing them, and used chat commands to scroll - not the best method, but it worked.

I could see that working too. Maybe when you click on the book, it assigns a "book text" id to the player and then chat's a brief command list or intro for the book/pages.

bcnjr5

by bcnjr5 » Tue May 01, 2012 14:40

use sign node type?

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Tue May 01, 2012 15:07

tinoesroho wrote:Gee. I think I've written something similar to this for a game in Scratch - ah, yes. Looks like I had been storing the pages as strings and parsing them, and used chat commands to scroll - not the best method, but it worked.

What would be nice would be to write a python parser that hooks into a web interface to allow for editing from a browser - much, much less messy than hacking stuff into sourcecode.

*muttermuttermutter*

Actually, last night I was playing Minecraft (USING MINESHAFTER - TOO LAZY TO PAY) and the server had the same type of mod. It is possibile, if the books were text files. Oh, relating to Scratch: http://scratch.mit.edu/users/jordach might still work.
Last edited by Jordach on Tue May 01, 2012 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

kddekadenz

GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Tue May 01, 2012 16:50

Jordach wrote: Oh, relating to Scratch: http://scratch.mit.edu/users/jordach might still work.

I send you a friendship request.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Tue May 01, 2012 16:54

Jordach wrote:

*muttermuttermutter*

Actually, last night I was playing Minecraft (USING MINESHAFTER - TOO LAZY TO PAY) and the server had the same type of mod. It is possibile, if the books were text files. Oh, relating to Scratch: http://scratch.mit.edu/users/jordach might still work.

Ya i know the mod your talking about, i really dont think Minetest is really worth playing anymore. because Minecraft Actually runs faster for me(2-3 times faster), and i really doubt this is possible with Minetest as of now. And Mineshafters is pretty BOmb, thanks for the heads up on that. I also Have s Server for Minecraft (private of Coarse) but if your interested in playing some time on it Jordach just email me:D its on ramdisk so its runs real nice:D im just now getting into Bukkit so theres a couple mods on the server^^
Last edited by Death Dealer on Tue May 01, 2012 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and code python^_^

Jordach

by Jordach » Tue May 01, 2012 17:15

You can turn on that server if you wish.

And kddekadenz: RETURNED!

Jordach

by Jordach » Tue May 01, 2012 17:18

Peoples, Scratch I can code almost anything, within 48 hours, although art is my bad side.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Wed May 02, 2012 03:23

Death Dealer wrote:Ya i know the mod your talking about, i really dont think Minetest is really worth playing anymore. because Minecraft Actually runs faster for me(2-3 times faster), and i really doubt this is possible with Minetest as of now. And Mineshafters is pretty BOmb, thanks for the heads up on that. I also Have s Server for Minecraft (private of Coarse) but if your interested in playing some time on it Jordach just email me:D its on ramdisk so its runs real nice:D im just now getting into Bukkit so theres a couple mods on the server^^

Java is faster than C++? Who would have thought? On my dual, tri and quad core machines, Minetest tends to outdo Minecraft by twice the speed (FPS). Then again, that could be because I'm using 20120122. :-)
We are what we create.

My github:

Jordach

by Jordach » Wed May 02, 2012 07:16

i agree with death Here.

Servers are usually faster.

a 2004 pentium 4 runs mc better. mt needs too much.

java is better, and mineshafter is Awesome.

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed May 02, 2012 07:34

tinoesroho wrote:Java is faster than C++? Who would have thought? On my dual, tri and quad core machines, Minetest tends to outdo Minecraft by twice the speed (FPS). Then again, that could be because I'm using 20120122. :-)

Minecraft uses much more RAM for me (up to 1.4GB, compared to Minetest which uses around 300MB), but runs a lot faster (tested on two computers, one with Windows, one with Linux).
Last edited by Calinou on Wed May 02, 2012 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Death Dealer

by Death Dealer » Wed May 02, 2012 09:16

Calinou wrote:
tinoesroho wrote:Java is faster than C++? Who would have thought? On my dual, tri and quad core machines, Minetest tends to outdo Minecraft by twice the speed (FPS). Then again, that could be because I'm using 20120122. :-)

Minecraft uses much more RAM for me (up to 1.4GB, compared to Minetest which uses around 300MB), but runs a lot faster (tested on two computers, one with Windows, one with Linux).

The RAM amont can be adjusted through the control panel. it use's as much as you allocate. by default it may use up to 1-1.5GB tops. its just an option.And the test really cant be held on two different OS's. Optifine also plays a huge role in my laptop actually playing Minecraft. and graphics cards change there core structure a lot from company to company, an even the Company's change there design on a regular basis.Some computers are going to run it better, just by design. So i see Minetest as
1. A good way to get into .lua Scripting. or scripting in general.
2. a minecraft alternative for older graphics cards and GPU's that might not run minecraft that well.

overall play-ability of minetest is maybe a soid hour of gameplay (with alot of mods installed. and ones that dont conflict or bog down your system to much) while Minecraft has an incredible amount of material right out of the gate and with mods (and really simple GUI mod installing programs)and the amount of user created material awes me still(Also has server mods:D very cool stuff eg:Bukkit) theres also Minecrat PE on both android market and the apple store. so theres really no competition at all. Minecraft Triumphs over all. Minetest however is a free open source alternative. with a "pretty" friendly modding community. so it defiantly has its plus's. But fails in comparison.
Last edited by Death Dealer on Wed May 02, 2012 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and code python^_^

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 23:30

+1 on the book mod idea. I really like the idea of being able to write information on a book, place it in a bookshelf, and let others read it and such. Also this might work VERY well with libraries, and people can check out/return books and stuff like that, and the books could be integrated into an automatic book-mover mod, that lets the person turn-in books into a ''hopper'' that transports them to an open slot on their shelf. There could also be ways to ID different bookshelves as #ABC, #DEF, #GHI, #JKL, #MNO etc... so that the books are returned to the correct bookshelf. Even some books can contain ''classified'' information, like the location of a secret base or a massive deposit of MESE, and the books can be hidden to make players feel a more adventurous theme to the game, attracting more players and people who will try and help improve Minetest, and eventually raise it's status from Inferior to Superior (to Minecraft and other popular mining/cubic games). Good luck!
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

Return to WIP Mods