How to generate ore in minetest?

ownsyouall

How to generate ore in minetest?

by ownsyouall » Thu Oct 04, 2012 17:36

I've made my own ore using the lua api and im trying to add it into the game. I'm very confused on how to do this though. I took a look at how minetest_game dose it via (Code from minetest_game/mods/default/mapgen.lua)
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
local function generate_ore(name, wherein, minp, maxp, seed, chunks_per_volume, chunk_size, ore_per_chunk, height_min, height_max)
if maxp.y < height_min or minp.y > height_max then
return
end
local y_min = math.max(minp.y, height_min)
local y_max = math.min(maxp.y, height_max)
local volume = (maxp.x-minp.x+1)*(y_max-y_min+1)*(maxp.z-minp.z+1)
local pr = PseudoRandom(seed)
local num_chunks = math.floor(chunks_per_volume * volume)
local inverse_chance = math.floor(chunk_size*chunk_size*chunk_size / ore_per_chunk)
--print("generate_ore num_chunks: "..dump(num_chunks))
for i=1,num_chunks do
local y0 = pr:next(y_min, y_max-chunk_size+1)
if y0 >= height_min and y0 <= height_max then
local x0 = pr:next(minp.x, maxp.x-chunk_size+1)
local z0 = pr:next(minp.z, maxp.z-chunk_size+1)
local p0 = {x=x0, y=y0, z=z0}
for x1=0,chunk_size-1 do
for y1=0,chunk_size-1 do
for z1=0,chunk_size-1 do
if pr:next(1,inverse_chance) == 1 then
local x2 = x0+x1
local y2 = y0+y1
local z2 = z0+z1
local p2 = {x=x2, y=y2, z=z2}
if minetest.env:get_node(p2).name == wherein then
minetest.env:set_node(p2, {name=name})
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
--print("generate_ore done")
end

generate_ore("default:stone_with_coal", "default:stone", minp, maxp, seed+0, 1/8/8/8, 3, 8, -31000, 64)
generate_ore("default:stone_with_iron", "default:stone", minp, maxp, seed+1, 1/12/12/12, 2, 3, -15, 2)
generate_ore("default:stone_with_iron", "default:stone", minp, maxp, seed+2, 1/9/9/9, 3, 5, -63, -16)
generate_ore("default:stone_with_iron", "default:stone", minp, maxp, seed+3, 1/7/7/7, 3, 5, -31000, -64)
generate_ore("default:mese", "default:stone", minp, maxp, seed+4, 1/16/16/16, 2, 3, -127, -64)

But the variables of chunks_per_volume, chunk_size and ore_per_chunk don't make any sense to me. I've looked around in the website and in irc but no one seems to know. So what exactly dose chunks_per_volume, chunk_size and ore_per_chunk do? Is there an easier way to make it so ores generate while still being able to set how rare they are and where they spawn height wise?

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:03

ore: the mineral you want to add

chunk: a chunk is a group of ores (its a cube)

ore_per_chunk: how many nodes in the chunk should be turned from wherein to the ore: If you have coal that is generated into stone then not all stone in the chunk is turned into coal

chunk_size: the length of the sides of the cubes

chunks_per_volume: This is difficult; it says how many chunks should be at a volume of the wherein material; e.g. if you want 2 chunks in a volume of 100 m^3 then you set ores_per_chunk = 2/100

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask what you dont understand.

ownsyouall

by ownsyouall » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:29

Ok thanks a bunch but im not clear on ore_per_chunk. So say i have a chunk_size of 10 by 10 by 10 so 100 blocks in it total. If i set ore_per_chunk to 1 would that mean 1% of those blocks in that chunk would be my ore?

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:52

ownsyouall wrote:Ok thanks a bunch but im not clear on ore_per_chunk. So say i have a chunk_size of 10 by 10 by 10 so 100 blocks in it total. If i set ore_per_chunk to 1 would that mean 1% of those blocks in that chunk would be my ore?

No: 10 by 10 by 10 => volume = 1000
if ore_per_chunk = 1 then it would be 0.1%
if ore_per_chunk = 10 then it would be 1%

E.g.: In my clouds mod in my fork of minetest_game the generate_cloud function based on generate_ore. I have set ore_per_chunk to 1/4 of the chunk size, so 1/4 of all air nodes in the chunk are turned to cloud.

Return to WIP Mods