[WIP] Auto Buildings

Gatharoth

[WIP] Auto Buildings

by Gatharoth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 07:41

Core idea: The Auto Building block creates a generic, hassle-free home.

Ideal idea: Generic homes ranging in sizes, as well as deconstruction plus portability of just one Auto Building block. Including different types of material used to build the house.

Now there's some of you that don't think this would be worth it. But I say, hey I want a small little house to sleep in at night, while I build my epic mansion, without wasting resources on it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this? Should I keep pursuing this, or would majority of the minetest community never use this?

dannydark

by dannydark » Thu Feb 09, 2012 13:18

ironzorg made a villages mod a while ago which would randomly generate buildings around the world, maybe you could use this and then once you find a little house setup camp and get to work on your mansion.

The mod can be found here: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=557

Gatharoth

by Gatharoth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 20:01

dannydark wrote:ironzorg made a villages mod a while ago which would randomly generate buildings around the world, maybe you could use this and then once you find a little house setup camp and get to work on your mansion.

The mod can be found here: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=557

I know about the Villages mod, but unlike the villages mod, this would allow you to build near that mega-city on some servers, and still have a little place to call home, until your real home is finished.

Where as, with Villages, you would have to wander around and find one of those randomly generated building, that is also around an area where you want to build.

J0nnJ0nes

by J0nnJ0nes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 21:50

Well, it would be nice to have pre-built structures stored in your inventory ... you could build a city in a few minutes, if you somehow have the materials.

Although, I think you're going more for "rental apartment", if I'm not mistaken ... in that case, why bother moving out?

However, "House in a box" that you can deconstruct sounds good ... just save a block range, removing the original, and load it elsewhere. Sounds great, and it can go VERY far.
Last edited by J0nnJ0nes on Thu Feb 09, 2012 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

Scott

by Scott » Fri Feb 10, 2012 05:04

This idea sounds better to me then to most people. I see great potential in a quick house in you inventory. I use the animals mod, so when i go out on my mining trips, i would have somewhere safe to stay overnight above ground. sort of like a tent, which a tent mod would be cool too, with just enough room for like a chest, a stove, and a bed
ubuntu would be #1, without unity

Gatharoth

by Gatharoth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:28

J0nnJ0nes wrote:Well, it would be nice to have pre-built structures stored in your inventory ... you could build a city in a few minutes, if you somehow have the materials.

Although, I think you're going more for "rental apartment", if I'm not mistaken ... in that case, why bother moving out?

However, "House in a box" that you can deconstruct sounds good ... just save a block range, removing the original, and load it elsewhere. Sounds great, and it can go VERY far.

Actually, its more like a Bed and breakfast @ someones house. The stay isn't permanent, but its long enough for what ever reason why you're away from your real home.

Better yet, think of it like a mobile home.

Scott wrote:This idea sounds better to me then to most people. I see great potential in a quick house in you inventory. I use the animals mod, so when i go out on my mining trips, i would have somewhere safe to stay overnight above ground. sort of like a tent, which a tent mod would be cool too, with just enough room for like a chest, a stove, and a bed

:D Well, until beds are official, or rather, popular bed mod is out there. It'll only have a chest and a furnace.

kahrl

by kahrl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 07:32

I feel this would make the game too easy (I mean the game is easy now, but once more mobs and actual punishment for death are added to the core game). But it would be good as a mod.

Gatharoth

by Gatharoth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 08:15

kahrl wrote:I feel this would make the game too easy (I mean the game is easy now, but once more mobs and actual punishment for death are added to the core game). But it would be good as a mod.

Minetest is supposed to be a sandbox type game. So by that thought, most players would be wanting to build grand and spectacular buildings and houses, or complex contraptions. Mobs or not, that's the basis of the game, to build.

Anyway, care to elaborate on why you feel it would make it too easy?

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Fri Feb 10, 2012 09:43

Gatharoth wrote:
kahrl wrote:I feel this would make the game too easy (I mean the game is easy now, but once more mobs and actual punishment for death are added to the core game). But it would be good as a mod.

Minetest is supposed to be a sandbox type game. So by that thought, most players would be wanting to build grand and spectacular buildings and houses, or complex contraptions. Mobs or not, that's the basis of the game, to build.

Then you dont deal with the mobs at night. ^_^

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

J0nnJ0nes

by J0nnJ0nes » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53

Well, you would have to make a bed every night when traveling anyway, so it would be nice not to waste resources every day, making a mess all over the place since it takes too long to deconstruct.

dannydark

by dannydark » Fri Feb 10, 2012 13:51

See I agree with what kahrl says it would make the survival mode way too easy, if all you want todo is build grand structures then why not just go and play on creative mode, that way resources wouldn't be a problem.

However, if something like this was to be added to the survival mode then I think it should just be a tent, that will let you get out of the dark and protect you from some mobs but I think that there still should be some mobs (maybe bears, trolls or whatever) that still could tear your tent open and rip your head off.

Gatharoth wrote:

Not entirely true, yes Minetest is a sandbox game but there are two modes, creative and survival, Survival is way too easy as it is and it needs to be made a lot harder by removing stuff like flying, noclip etc and by adding lots of aggressive mobs, hunger, air meter so you can't stay underwater for ever, maybe dangerous weather that can cause damage to both players and structures, also mese is way to easy to get this should be made a lot harder to find and made less powerful.

The whole point of survival is to make the gameplay a lot more fun and challenging for players, it also makes this game a game and not just a 3d cad type program.

If all you want to do in Minetest is build grand cities and use it as a cad type application then go play creative mode so that you have unlimited resources and build whatever you want without worrying about aggressive mobs etc, Sandbox can mean a lot of things which is why its normal to see different modes in a lot of sandbox games.

Gatharoth

by Gatharoth » Fri Feb 10, 2012 19:19

dannydark wrote:If all you want to do in Minetest is build grand cities and use it as a cad type application then go play creative mode so that you have unlimited resources and build whatever you want without worrying about aggressive mobs etc, Sandbox can mean a lot of things which is why its normal to see different modes in a lot of sandbox games.

But see, that's no fun in my opinion. I have unlimited resources, so whats the point now? Its both building grand cities, and having the gather the resources in order to build it.

Jordach wrote:Then you dont deal with the mobs at night. ^_^

Despite having a small place to live, I was still killed by a creeper. I'm not totally sure how it killed me, but I died to it none-the-less >.< Anyway, once creepers get updated, and blow up/destroy the buildings. The auto-building will only provide a small amount of protection, as long as there is no creepers.

Well, in any case, I'll just hold onto this mod for awhile then. But I will still continue to work on it.

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 00:16

Maybe just a simple tent? It would set a simple perimeter around you. Like you craft a campfire
sxs x=wood
xcx c=coal
sxs s=cobblestone
And it set up a, for say, 5x5 perimeter. Similar to how worldedit works. And to remove the camp, just destroy the campfire. And that also leaves for sabotage on PVP servers. To liven up minetest and make it awesome

Scott

by Scott » Tue Feb 14, 2012 05:39

ok how about something more like using the jungle grass:

j= jungle grass
w=wood
0=nothing

0j0
jwj
jwj
ubuntu would be #1, without unity

Gatharoth

by Gatharoth » Tue Feb 14, 2012 18:44

I might do a tent mod later. But for now I'm working on my Auto Buildings.

Return to WIP Mods