World Trade Center scale build on Craig's Survival Server

Bob Hovercraft

In-game: Bob_Hovercraft

World Trade Center scale build on Craig's Survival Server

by Bob Hovercraft » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:46

Hi all,

I'm currently in the middle of constructing a scale replica of the World Trade Center towers on Craig's Survival server, along with Gabo, satchwell, liljnc3 and extremebuilder.

I know they've been done before in Minecraft, so it's not an original concept, but I'm including interiors and building it in non-creative mode on a public server (i.e. everything you see has been mined, made and placed). I'm also doing it without using 'fly' mode, which makes it more interesting - you need gantries and fall off *a lot*

Each tower is 64x64 blocks in footprint, with heights of 415 and 417 (+antenna for WTC1) blocks. (Scale used is 1 block = 1 metre). The overall site is 200x200 blocks (=40,000 sq m) and will include:

• WTC 1 and WTC 2
  • The reflecting pools in half scale (32x32)
  • The Sphere sculpture in Tobin plaza (to approx scale)
  • A large park, complete with 8-bit 'stars and stripes' and planting

The towers are not completely accurate as I have had to modify elements of it to fit the dimensions - the towers will have 110 storeys each (some floors are 2 blocks in height, most in 3), as per the originals, along with a central atrium, but I have decided to play around with elements of the interior (i.e full height marble clad atrium with glass roof and glass crosswalks - I don't need 20+ elevators!).

Apolitical
I'm not building the towers to make a political point or to attract any kind of inappropriate commentary. The towers were extremely famous and a lost architectural landmark of a true world city.

They're also (once laid out) relatively easy to build in Minetest once the frame is laid out, which is a bonus.

Thanks to CraigyDavi and staff

This build wouldn't be possible without Craig (and the other mods and admins) help - the server is a great example of a constructive space, with a working economy, road system, property exchange and community (without being too regulated, we don't want it to be too much like real life).

Screenshots / Plans

Thanks to FMK for taking the aerial shots - will try and upload some soon once I've got the hang of it!

hoodedice

by hoodedice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54

Apolitical
I'm not building the towers to make a political point or to attract any kind of inappropriate commentary. The towers were extremely famous and a lost architectural landmark of a true world city.

The this.

Nice of you to include that, but I think building the new One World Trade Center would be much better if you are concerned about flaming =/
Last edited by hoodedice on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Bob Hovercraft

by Bob Hovercraft » Mon Mar 31, 2014 13:08

hoodedice wrote:
Apolitical

The this.

Nice of you to include that, but I think building the new One World Trade Center would be much better if you are concerned about flaming =/

I'm not overly concerned with it to be honest, I suppose I could put the new one up too in the course of time. I just hope players are sensible enough to realise it's 'just a minetest building', it's not there to divide people.

CraigyDavi

GitHub: davisonio
IRC: davisonio or CraigyDavi
In-game: davisonio or CraigyDavi

Re: World Trade Center scale build on Craig's Survival Serve

by CraigyDavi » Sun May 11, 2014 19:42

Screenshot showing progress of World Trade Center build:

jp

GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Tue May 13, 2014 06:31

You should plan to extract this building with WE (//mtschem). Great work !

Bob Hovercraft

by Bob Hovercraft » Tue May 13, 2014 11:24

JP - It would be good if it could be extracted and kept for posterity, just in case the server no longer runs for any reason - I will talk to Craig about this in due course and see if it is possible.

For now, it's great fun to build and add to, let's see how long it takes to complete!

Bob

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Tue May 13, 2014 22:54

Glad to see some people use the game for what it was intended. Dunno about you guys but im a little tired of seeing everything-but-builds in the screenshots thread :p Keep it up :-)

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Wed May 14, 2014 01:03

mauvebic wrote:Glad to see some people use the game for what it was intended. Dunno about you guys but im a little tired of seeing everything-but-builds in the screenshots thread :p Keep it up :-)

Indeed.

OdinAllfather

by OdinAllfather » Wed Jun 04, 2014 23:00

Hahaha my Valhalla that I was going to do would look small compared to this lolol

ABJ

GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ

by ABJ » Thu Jun 04, 2015 18:03

I hate you Bob :D it's awesome.
WTC 2 is done and Craig's Server has been down for the last seventeen millenia.

Tmanyo

GitHub: Tmanyo
IRC: Tmanyo
In-game: tmanyo

by Tmanyo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 02:26

OdinAllfather wrote:Hahaha my Valhalla that I was going to do would look small compared to this lolol

I think Valhalla is awesome on MTZ really nice architecture.
Also I am working on building 1 World Trade Center on RRH-Creative.
Tmanyo
http://rrhmsservers.weebly.com/
Servers I Host:
Xtremetest
Vault-81

Return to Minetest General