[Game] Carbone [carbone] – minetest_game, improved

Subgames that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Game] Carbone [carbone] – minetest_game, improved

by Inocudom » Tue Jan 13, 2015 19:26

Calinou, how up-to-date is this sub-game in comparison to minetest_game? It might be worth your while to check that out.

Danfun64

by Danfun64 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 01:43

Thanks for the advice Calinou

While I like Carbone for the most part, there are a couple more things I would like to turn off, like moreores (what is the point of them anyway? It's not like they add additional features), the increased amount of clay (Is there a reason for this feature? If not, is there a way to bring them back to vanilla minetest level?), and coins (again, do they have a purpose, is there some way to use the coins for an economy, either with npcs or real players in multiplayer for stuff like shops?) Got any advice?

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Jan 14, 2015 16:18

Inocudom wrote:Calinou, how up-to-date is this sub-game in comparison to minetest_game? It might be worth your while to check that out.

It was forked from minetest_game in April 2014 (between 0.4.9 and 0.4.10), so it is quite out of date now.

Danfun64 wrote:Thanks for the advice Calinou

While I like Carbone for the most part, there are a couple more things I would like to turn off, like moreores (what is the point of them anyway? It's not like they add additional features), the increased amount of clay (Is there a reason for this feature? If not, is there a way to bring them back to vanilla minetest level?), and coins (again, do they have a purpose, is there some way to use the coins for an economy, either with npcs or real players in multiplayer for stuff like shops?) Got any advice?

There is no More Ores in Carbone, tin and silver are added directly in the default mod. To disable them, you would have to edit the code to make them not generate and alias their definitions to stone. You would also have to change the bronze ingot recipe to use an iron ingot instead of a tin ingot.

As for clay, same thing: you need to edit mapgen.lua of the default mod to make less clay spawn.

For coins, it is much harder, you would have to remove references to coins at all places…

arcturian_vagabond

In-game: posipil

by arcturian_vagabond » Thu Jan 15, 2015 03:32

I have crafted a bow an 16 arrows according to these instructions.

Craft a bow with the strings from the farming mod:
string wood
string wood
string wood
Craft arrows with:
stick stick steel
Select the bow and shoot with left mouse click. Every shoot will take 1
arrow from your inventory and wears out the bow (you have around 50
shoots).

• I have the bow and 16 arrows in my inventory.
  • I select the bow so that it is showing in hand.
  • I left click.
  • Nothing happens, and I still have 16 arrows.
  • I right click.

What might be wrong?

Calinou

by Calinou » Thu Jan 15, 2015 16:03

arcturian_vagabond wrote:I have crafted a bow an 16 arrows according to these instructions.

Craft a bow with the strings from the farming mod:
string wood
string wood
string wood
Craft arrows with:
stick stick steel
Select the bow and shoot with left mouse click. Every shoot will take 1
arrow from your inventory and wears out the bow (you have around 50
shoots).

• I have the bow and 16 arrows in my inventory.
  • I select the bow so that it is showing in hand.
  • I left click.
  • I right click.

What might be wrong?

The arrows must be placed in the slot which is to the right of the bow.

arcturian_vagabond

by arcturian_vagabond » Fri Jan 16, 2015 22:41

Calinou wrote:The arrows must be placed in the slot which is to the right of the bow.

That seems to have worked. Where is that documented? I spent some time searching before asking here.

It doesn't seem intuitive. I don't understand why it would matter which slot the arrows are in.

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 23:47

arcturian_vagabond wrote:
Calinou wrote:The arrows must be placed in the slot which is to the right of the bow.

That seems to have worked. Where is that documented? I spent some time searching before asking here.

It doesn't seem intuitive. I don't understand why it would matter which slot the arrows are in.

It seems you are correct. It doesn't seem to be documented. Although reading through the Throwing Mod thread it is explained and other features of the mod. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2805
Hope that helps
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

arcturian_vagabond

by arcturian_vagabond » Sat Jan 17, 2015 04:25

ExeterDad wrote:Although reading through the Throwing Mod thread it is explained and other features of the mod. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2805
Hope that helps

Thanks for checking, but now I am more confused.

viewtopic.php?p=38418#p38418

PilzAdam wrote:It checkes every slot of the inventory and takes the first arrow.

That is how I expected the arrows to work at first.

Calinou

by Calinou » Sat Jan 17, 2015 08:26

arcturian_vagabond wrote:It doesn't seem intuitive. I don't understand why it would matter which slot the arrows are in.

There are several types of arrows (regular arrows, golden arrows, torch arrows, …), the mod must know which type of arrow you want to fire.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sat Jan 17, 2015 17:56

Calinou wrote:
Inocudom wrote:Calinou, how up-to-date is this sub-game in comparison to minetest_game? It might be worth your while to check that out.

It was forked from minetest_game in April 2014 (between 0.4.9 and 0.4.10), so it is quite out of date now.

Many, many commits were made to minetest_game since them, Calinou:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/commits/master
I think you will find some of them to be very useful. Remember, there are servers that use Carbone.

Can any of you server owners that use Carbone offer any assistance?

arcturian_vagabond

by arcturian_vagabond » Sat Jan 17, 2015 20:27

Calinou wrote:There are several types of arrows (regular arrows, golden arrows, torch arrows, …), the mod must know which type of arrow you want to fire.

Okay, I can see how that would work. Thank you for helping :)

danquebec

by danquebec » Wed Jan 21, 2015 13:53

@Calinou

Apparently your decision is already taken to make mobs weaker, but I would just like to say that it saddens me because I think things are not challenging enough already.

Just to make it known that there are some players who would like things to be harder.

Calinou

by Calinou » Wed Jan 21, 2015 17:08

danquebec wrote:@Calinou

Apparently your decision is already taken to make mobs weaker, but I would just like to say that it saddens me because I think things are not challenging enough already.

Just to make it known that there are some players who would like things to be harder.

Some servers lag a lot, so the defaults shouldn't be too hard. Also, some people play on mobile devices.

I think you can tweak monster_damage_factor to increase monster damage. Try 1.5 or 2.0 as values.

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:46

digitalmouse

In-game: digitalmouse

by digitalmouse » Sun Jan 25, 2015 18:20

Happy New Year, Calinou!

Should I try anything different in regards to the steel ingots not making a cart? or perhaps the mod has changed enough since my last posting of 'yep' in reply to your question, that i should try updating the mod and see if that works?

Thanks for your time on a great mod.

-digi
Minetest experimental server running on 900Mhz Raspberry Pi: pi.god.jp:30000

Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Jan 25, 2015 18:30

digitalmouse wrote:Happy New Year, Calinou!

Should I try anything different in regards to the steel ingots not making a cart? or perhaps the mod has changed enough since my last posting of 'yep' in reply to your question, that i should try updating the mod and see if that works?

Thanks for your time on a great mod.

-digi

This is the cart recipe in the code, it should definitely work like that (5 steel ingots in a “U”):

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
minetest.register_craft({
   output = "carts:cart",
   recipe = {
      {"default:steel_ingot", "", "default:steel_ingot"},
      {"default:steel_ingot", "default:steel_ingot", "default:steel_ingot"},
   },
})

digitalmouse

In-game: digitalmouse

by digitalmouse » Sun Jan 25, 2015 19:54

Calinou wrote:This is the cart recipe in the code, it should definitely work like that (5 steel ingots in a “U”):

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
minetest.register_craft({
   output = "carts:cart",
   recipe = {
      {"default:steel_ingot", "", "default:steel_ingot"},
      {"default:steel_ingot", "default:steel_ingot", "default:steel_ingot"},
   },
})

And I see that in init.lua... so.. hmmm
strange...
Minetest experimental server running on 900Mhz Raspberry Pi: pi.god.jp:30000

Linuxdirk

GitHub: dsohler
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Wed Jan 28, 2015 19:29

Can you please check this and this?

I love Carbone and I don’t want it to stop me from updating other mods and modpacks … :)

hammergil

by hammergil » Tue Feb 17, 2015 13:21

I am new to sub_games and have installed carbone ready to play. I have a few questions:

1. What is a sub_game? Is it just a bundle of mods? How does this differ from just the base game and installing mods?

2. In Carbone, what is the point of coins? Is it supposed to be a scoring system and the game is to outscore your opponents? Are the coins used for some economics...trading, etc?

3. What is the overall goal of the game? Is it just a social environment in multiplayer? Competitive in some way? meant to be played as a singleplayer?

thanks!

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 13:58

hammergil wrote:I am new to sub_games and have installed carbone ready to play. I have a few questions:

1. What is a sub_game? Is it just a bundle of mods? How does this differ from just the base game and installing mods?

2. In Carbone, what is the point of coins? Is it supposed to be a scoring system and the game is to outscore your opponents? Are the coins used for some economics...trading, etc?

3. What is the overall goal of the game? Is it just a social environment in multiplayer? Competitive in some way? meant to be played as a singleplayer?

thanks!

1. The term “sub_game” is undefined and meaningless. But the term “subgame” exists and has a meaning, but only within the Minetest community, it is a technical term. A subgame is mostly just a bundle of mods indeed. There are a few additional metadata to a subgame: Name, main menu images (background and banner) and customized settings; each subgame can have its own minetest.conf. And that's it!
Subgames are represented by the little icons in the main menu, clicking those icons switches the current subgame.
Subgames basically exist to create a complete gaming experience, so the user does not go through the hassle of manually installing a bunch of mods and finding a good configuration.
Another difference is that all mods in the currently seletected subgame cannot be un-selected, they are fixed. The only way to get rid of them is to modify the subgame itself or use another subgame. But the user can enable additional mods, as long as they do not conflict with the subgame's mods. Luckily, this is not often the case. The subgame mods are written in blue font in the mod selection menu.
The base game itself is a subgame, also just called “Minetest” for some crazy reason, but in the forums, it is often called “minetest_game”.
“subgame” is probably a misnomer, since a subgame must not neccessarily be an actual game. In fact, most subgames are just sandboxes at the moment.

2. Coins are completely useless in Carbone.

3. Carbone is not a game. Carbone is only a sandbox, like many other subgames.
There are no goals and no real challenges, this is why Carbone is not, a game. In fact, I know of only two subgames which are games: City v City and The Hungry Games. Every other subgame lacks basic challenges or even goals. This is not neccessarily bad, it just means they aren't games.
Basically the main stuff you do in Carbone is digging into the earth and build awesome buildings and sometimes kill some mobs. There are a few extras in Carbone, but that's basically it.
Carbone itself is not competetive at all. Carbone could be played both in singleplayer and multiplayer. AFAIK there are a few Carbone servers out there.
Carbone itself does not have any built-in trading system, so the coins are worthless. But there are a few economic mods out there which allow trading in multiplayer servers. I don't know whether any Carbone server with trading exists right now.

hammergil

by hammergil » Tue Feb 17, 2015 14:09

Thanks for the quick reply Wuzzy! I am no longer confused and appreciate the help.

deaf_fish

GitHub: hansonry
IRC: hansonry
In-game: hansonry

by deaf_fish » Thu Feb 19, 2015 18:53

Just found this. This is pretty nice, hats off to the devs!

Couple of things though. Mobs are kicking my butt even though I have an iron sword and armor. I'm afraid to explore caves because of this. I put the armor in the left slots. Is this correct? Also, rats, rats everywhere.

Thanks!

Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Feb 20, 2015 17:38

deaf_fish wrote:Just found this. This is pretty nice, hats off to the devs!

Couple of things though. Mobs are kicking my butt even though I have an iron sword and armor. I'm afraid to explore caves because of this. I put the armor in the left slots. Is this correct? Also, rats, rats everywhere.

Thanks!

Mobs were recently nerfed. If you don't want monsters at all, add spawn_hostile_mobs = false to your minetest.conf.

stu

GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Sat Feb 21, 2015 20:20

@Calinou, you might want to update your fork of 3d_armor, especially the player model which has now been greatly improved and exported in the much more compact .b3d format by ExeterDad.

See the recent commit history for more details.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Sun Feb 22, 2015 02:08

You should also update your itemframes mod:
https://github.com/Zeg9/minetest-itemframes/commits/master

Calinou

by Calinou » Sun Feb 22, 2015 09:17

stu wrote:@Calinou, you might want to update your fork of 3d_armor, especially the player model which has now been greatly improved and exported in the much more compact .b3d format by ExeterDad.

See the recent commit history for more details.

Done. I've also submitted a pull request that optimizes all textures.

nackstein

by nackstein » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:01

nice subgame.
I'm playing a little with it and found some warnings on the command line.
I'm using minetest 0.4.12 compiled from source on Arch Linux 64bit.

Here the log when I run carbone on a newly created world with no added mods:
Irrlicht log: Irrlicht Engine version 1.8.1
Irrlicht log: Linux 3.14.33-1-lts #1 SMP Fri Feb 13 17:02:25 CET 2015 x86_64
Irrlicht log: Using renderer: OpenGL 3.0
Irrlicht log: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Bay Trail : Intel Open Source Technology Center
Irrlicht log: OpenGL driver version is 1.2 or better.
Irrlicht log: GLSL version: 1.3
11:32:30: ACTION[main]:
11:32:30: ACTION[main]: Creative mode is disabled.
11:32:30: ACTION[main]: Damage is enabled.
11:32:30: ACTION[main]: PvP is enabled.
11:32:30: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "worldedit" accessed at ...s/carbone/mods/worldedit/worldedit_infinity/init.lua:1
11:32:31: ACTION[main]:         .__               __                   __   
11:32:31: ACTION[main]:   _____ |__| ____   _____/  |_  ____   _______/  |_
11:32:31: ACTION[main]:  /     \|  |/    \_/ __ \   __\/ __ \ /  ___/\   __\
11:32:31: ACTION[main]: |  Y Y  \  |   |  \  ___/|  | \  ___/ \___ \  |  | 
11:32:31: ACTION[main]: |__|_|  /__|___|  /\___  >__|  \___  >____  > |__| 
11:32:31: ACTION[main]:       \/        \/     \/          \/     \/       
11:32:31: ACTION[main]: World at [/home/vortex/minetest-master/bin/../worlds/c12]
11:32:31: ACTION[main]: Server for gameid="carbone" listening on 0.0.0.0:62531.
11:32:31: ACTION[ServerThread]: There are 2592 registered nodes, items and tools.
11:32:34: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joined for the first time, giving them initial stuff.
11:32:34: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer [127.0.0.1] joins game.
11:32:34: ACTION[ServerThread]: singleplayer joins game. List of players: singleplayer
11:32:34: WARNING: Assignment to undeclared global "hp" inside a function at ...est-master/bin/../games/carbone/mods/gauges/init.lua:22.
11:32:34: WARNING: Assignment to undeclared global "breath" inside a function at ...est-master/bin/../games/carbone/mods/gauges/init.lua:23.
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: 3d_armor_boots_diamond.png
11:32:34: ACTION[ServerThread]: Spawned a dirt monster at (65,-7,12).
11:32:38: ACTION[ServerThread]: Spawned a trooper at (58,-6,7).
Irrlicht log: Could not open file of texture: character.png
^C11:32:41: INFO: sigint_handler(): Ctrl-C pressed, shutting down.

suggested remedy:

for theses 2 warning:
11:32:34: WARNING: Assignment to undeclared global "hp" inside a function at ...est-master/bin/../games/carbone/mods/gauges/init.lua:22.
11:32:34: WARNING: Assignment to undeclared global "breath" inside a function at ...est-master/bin/../games/carbone/mods/gauges/init.lua:23.

just make variables hp and breath local

for these 2 warnings:

the problem is that the file games/carbone/mods/3d_armor/models/3d_armor_character.blend
contain a reference to a local file 3d_armor_boots_diamond.png (found this with strace)

look at that output:
$ strings games/carbone/mods/3d_armor/models/3d_armor_character.blend|grep png
character.png
3d_armor_boots_diamond.png
character.png

I never used blender so I'm not sure if there is a rationale behind that but maybe you can make it point
to the right folder so the warning disappear. just for testing I tried copying 3d_armor_boots_diamond.png
in the running folder and the warning go away.

for that warning:
11:32:30: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "worldedit" accessed at ...s/carbone/mods/worldedit/worldedit_infinity/init.lua:1

I'm not sure if it's possible to declare it local or not (it's in the main body of the module...)
the check seems implemented here ./builtin/common/strict.lua

I will investigate into this just to learn something :)

Last but not least, I tried to couple carbone with skylands mod it seems that the default module of carbone
is missing pinetree, is this a choice or the default module is not up-to-date with the one in minetest game?

thank you in advance if you want to have a look at those silly question :P

edit:
I found how this warning can be solved. see official lua doc here:
http://www.lua.org/pil/14.2.html

you should use rawget in worldedit:
an example:
#!/usr/bin/lua

if rawget(_G, 'var123') == nil then
   -- `var123' is undeclared
   var123 = {}
else
   print("already declared")
end

var123[1] = "123"

print("check " .. var123[1])

here you can find my patch for worldedit:
--- games/carbone/mods/worldedit/worldedit_infinity/init.lua.orig   2015-03-02 15:01:19.460201538 +0100
+++ games/carbone/mods/worldedit/worldedit_infinity/init.lua   2015-03-02 15:10:11.830207528 +0100
@@ -1,4 +1,6 @@
-worldedit = worldedit or {}
+if rawget(_G, 'worldedit') == nil then
+   worldedit = {}
+end
 local minetest = minetest --local copy of global

local get_pointed = function(pos, nearest, distance)

nack
Last edited by nackstein on Mon Mar 02, 2015 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 13:55

It must be using a older 3d_armor. In the last two versions of 3d_armor I personally stripped all references to all images out of the blend file.

Edit: But don't worry about the missing textures warnings. Images are fed to the model via lua. If the image that the model (in blender) was built with isn't found by the engine, it complains.

Also the global messages are not normally a big deal. It just means that the coding style has gotten more strict and that the mod developers need to update their code and declare things local. If not, it's considered global and lua is now complaining.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

nackstein

by nackstein » Mon Mar 02, 2015 14:41

ExeterDad wrote:It must be using a older 3d_armor. In the last two versions of 3d_armor I personally stripped all references to all images out of the blend file.

Edit: But don't worry about the missing textures warnings. Images are fed to the model via lua. If the image that the model (in blender) was built with isn't found by the engine, it complains.

Also the global messages are not normally a big deal. It just means that the coding style has gotten more strict and that the mod developers need to update their code and declare things local. If not, it's considered global and lua is now complaining.

I'm sure those warning are not a big deal, it's just that I like clean and polished logs ;)
after all I'm more interested in knowing why pinetrees are missing so I can play with skylands :)

ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 15:47

I hear ya about the cleanliness :) I just wanted you to know that it will likely not affect gameplay. He's got a bunch of things to keep up with in this game, I'm sure he appreciates the heads up and will have it all resolved soon.
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

PreviousNext

Return to Old Subgames