[Mod] Exertion [exertion]

prestidigitator

[Mod] Exertion [exertion]

by prestidigitator » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:42

Note: This thread contains only a brief description and release announcements. For more details, see the wiki page: http://wiki.minetest.net/Mods/Exertion

Exertion is an attempt to add a small amount of realism and challenge, and shift the balance of play a little more toward survival considerations such as maintaining access to food and water. You don't absolutely need to eat and drink to survive, but you do need to eat and drink to function at full efficiency.

Exertion tracks player activity and food and water consumption. Starvation and dehydration cause fatigue (reducing running speed and jump height) but do not kill the player. Healing isn't instantaneous when food is consumed, but occurs over time if the player is well-fed and hydrated. Being poisoned can cause minor damage and major food and water loss over time, as the player vomits or dry heaves.

Screenshots

Mod Details

Required Minetest Version: >=0.4.12 (may work as early as 0.4.10, but not tested)

Dependencies: (none)

Soft Dependencies: (none)

Highly Recommended: default, farming (and/or other mods that provide food)

Craft Recipies: (none)

Git Repo: https://github.com/prestidigitator/minetest-mod-exertion

Copyright and Licensing

Author: Prestidigitator

Licenses: CC0 1.0 (sounds), WTFPL (everything else)

Change History

Version 1.0

• Released 2015-04-06
  • First working version.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

Re: [Mod] Exertion [exertion]

by Nathan.S » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:09

I'm totally going to integrate this with my surival mod I was going to do thirst myself but now I don't have too. :-)
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:58

If you are in water, does it refill your hydration meter?

mahmutelmas06

GitHub: mahmutelmas06
IRC: mahmutelmas06
In-game: masum

by mahmutelmas06 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 17:10

Good job

It could be better as modpack.
If we use other hunger mods at least we could use thirst, poisoning without editing the mod...
My Mods:

Beverage

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Mon Apr 06, 2015 19:04

12Me21 wrote:If you are in water, does it refill your hydration meter?

Technically, if your head is in air and your feet are in water or within one space of water in any direction, you drink some water every 10 seconds. Those are the default settings, anyway. You can configure how close you need to be to the water and how much water you drink. That your head must be in air is hard-coded.

EDIT: Oh. I forgot to say, you also get half as much water as food when you eat (we get about 70% of our water from the food we eat). This is only perceivable when you eat something that gives you at least 2 food points (a whole icon), but even when it's fractional it does lengthen the amount of time before the hydrated bar goes down. So eat a loaf of "farming:bread" for example, you get 4 food (2 icons) and 2 water (1 icon).
Last edited by prestidigitator on Mon Apr 06, 2015 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Mon Apr 06, 2015 19:10

mahmutelmas06 wrote:It could be better as modpack.
If we use other hunger mods at least we could use thirst, poisoning without editing the mod...

Hmm. It's an idea for a future release, maybe. The way the different meters and events interact with each other is somewhat tightly knit, though. Maybe a simple boolean setting for entirely disabling each feature rather than a few settings that have to be tweaked with care....

Martno

by Martno » Sun Sep 06, 2015 22:33

I like the idea of reducing running speed and jump height when starving instead of having injury.
Is the "standing in water" the only way to be hydrated? Would be great if if player can drink water (or other drinks) from bottles.

Nathan.S

GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:20

Marno there is a thirst mod that lets you drink, but I don't know if they are comparable.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website.

Return to WIP Mods