[Poll] Which language do you use in Minetest?

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

[Poll] Which language do you use in Minetest?

by PilzAdam » Mon Oct 26, 2015 13:06

Hello everyone!

Here is a poll on which languages you use in Minetest: http://strawpoll.me/5837832. Please pick the one that you primarily use when playing Minetest (this is not about your native language).

If you want to help translate existing languages, there is a page in our development wiki for it. If you want new languages to be added and would like to translate for them, then please reply in this thread or contact a core developer.

Last edited by PilzAdam on Mon Oct 26, 2015 18:54, edited 2 times in total.

prof-turbo

Re: [Poll] Which language do you use?

by prof-turbo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 17:49

I think the title should look more like "What is your native language ?" because Minetest community comes from all over the world and so needs to talk international languages has English or Spanish all the time to be understood, even if they talk to people from their country.

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 18:13

prof-turbo wrote:I think the title should look more like "What is your native language ?" because Minetest community comes from all over the world and so needs to talk international languages has English or Spanish all the time to be understood, even if they talk to people from their country.

Native language is irrelevant, we're trying to find out what languages people use for their Minetest interface.

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Mon Oct 26, 2015 18:54

rubenwardy wrote:
prof-turbo wrote:I think the title should look more like "What is your native language ?" because Minetest community comes from all over the world and so needs to talk international languages has English or Spanish all the time to be understood, even if they talk to people from their country.

Native language is irrelevant, we're trying to find out what languages people use for their Minetest interface.

Rubenwardy is right. Clarified the first post.

Dragonop

GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Re: [Poll] Which language do you use in Minetest?

by Dragonop » Mon Oct 26, 2015 22:39

This could be a good poll if you could select the languaje in servers, and in the settings menu (well, now you can heh), because for people like me, that only plays on servers, I'm forced to use english.
Anyways, I don't really see a difference between english and spanish anymore. But I preffer english because the translation is at least 70% more accurate (because some words/terms from english cannot be translated to spanish.)

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Tue Oct 27, 2015 06:49

Just wondering... what is the point of this poll?

It is obvious that people will prefer their native language. I myself currently use english because I feel it's weird (read: inconsistent) seeing everything (items, nodes, etc) in english while having the interface in spanish. But that's because I understand english very well; I've tried "converting" my nephew and niece from MC but they won't because MC is much better translated WRT item names (thing that mods like vortoj and my.own intllib try to alleviate but fail in one way or another).

TL;DR, I use english because of consistency, and need better client-side mod text translation.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Oct 27, 2015 15:41

kaeza wrote:Just wondering... what is the point of this poll?

I was just curious whether the translation status of the languages are correlated with the number of people that use them.

Currently it seems like German and French are the most used languages, apart from English. These are also the languages that got translated the fastest with the recent changes that introduced a lot of new strings to translate.

Another side-effect of this topic is to raise awareness how easy it is to help out the project by translating it into your preferred language.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Nov 01, 2015 19:08

kaeza wrote:It is obvious that people will prefer their native language. I myself currently use english because I feel it's weird (read: inconsistent) seeing everything (items, nodes, etc) in english while having the interface in spanish.

You're not the only one feeling that way. I prefer English as well (although my native language is German). That applies to most programs. Even a very good translation will have to deal with terms that are specific to a particular program - or just be unable to find a short translation. It's quite often necessary to translate translations back to English in order to understand what i.e. an error message might have meant.

PilzAdam wrote:Currently it seems like German and French are the most used languages, apart from English. These are also the languages that got translated the fastest with the recent changes that introduced a lot of new strings to translate.

There seem to be quite a lot of young players around who chat amongst themshelves in Spanish, Portugese or other languages of that family. There are also sometimes people speaking Russian (the characters they use look like it). Apart from translations into these languages, it'd also be very helpful to have server rules available in as many languages as possible. Perhaps some native speakers can help?
A list of my mods can be found here.

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Mon Nov 02, 2015 00:39

There are also sometimes people speaking Russian (the characters they use look like it).
Most likely Cyrillic, a derivative of Latin.

Secondly, I prefer English, as it has mostly become the universal language for us to speak regardless of location. Can't be sure for other, sentient races (that clearly aren't human), can I?

Minetest needs to have an inbuilt system like the current *.po system, but entirely for mods - allowing strings for chat messages, help strings, etc to be localised to the system, but the mod provides it, so other users of different languages can use a localised mod, instead of MinetestForFun, where both English and French are used. French players would be able to recieve French localisation - and English speakers would be able to see a English version of that text. (I'm pretty sure I've seen a server entirely translated into Spanish or something, mod items and nodes included. Something like an API call to handle different languages would be very, very appreciated.)

I'm going to provide a potential system for this.

minetest.string_language({"en_GB", "This is a string in English."}, {"fr", "Ceci est une chaîne en français."})

This is just boilerplate, and could be adopted. If the region language was French, the "fr" table would be returned, instead of the en_GB table.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

alcipri

by alcipri » Thu Nov 12, 2015 16:44

I have just started to translate Catalán language. It is my native language and I think it will be useful for other people from my country. So I have decided to help in a way that I can be useful. If anyone wants help, every help is welcome :)

https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/min ... netest/ca/

Pd: At the same time, I want to complete Spanish too.

Ingar

GitHub: IngarKCT
IRC: Ingar

by Ingar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:55

I prefer games and computer software in English.

Dutch translations are ususally bad, inconcistent, silly, ridiculous, offensive or all of the above. This applies to open-source and closed-source alike and extends to other media like movie subtitles. On top of that, most of the natives can't properly handle their language either.

And then there's nl_BE and nl_NL.

alcipri

by alcipri » Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:15

Ingar wrote:I prefer games and computer software in English.

Dutch translations are ususally bad, inconcistent, silly, ridiculous, offensive or all of the above. This applies to open-source and closed-source alike and extends to other media like movie subtitles. On top of that, most of the natives can't properly handle their language either.

And then there's nl_BE and nl_NL.

I agree with you: I prefer games, movies and other medias in english, furthermore it's an excellent way to learn.

But in my opinion, having Minetest in different languages is a positive thing, never a negative thing. Is true that sometimes it's difficult to transalte some words or expressions, but with a few work of each volunteer we can perform a complete multilanguage support such that everyone can play Minetest.
Last edited by alcipri on Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

afflatus

GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:19

English is my native language.

I have noticed that many northern Europeans and Americans are comfortable using English, but a significant number of players are not fluent in English at all. Spanish and Russian in particular are widely spoken in-game by players who have little English. I guess the greater the linguistic distance a player's natural language is from English, the greater the potential problem (with the possible exception of the Japanese). As with all open-source software, supporting languages is reliant on someone being bothered to create the appropriate translation strings. Minority languages like Català or Cymraeg will probably get done by one passionate individual, but it may be worth officially encouraging Spanish, Russian, Hindi, Arabic, Chinese and Japanese translations.
Grailtest is sleeping ...

alcipri

by alcipri » Fri Nov 13, 2015 13:30

Totally agree with your analysis Afflatus, we have to boost the main translations of the main languages. On the other hand it's true that mainly other minority languages translations are made by passionates, but we don't have to forget that there are users that prefer playing with their own languages instead of the others. So I think every language added it's a positive thing.

twoelk

by twoelk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 18:12

having lots of languages is always good !
Translations should be encouraged as much as possible,
especially as many translators are not coders and may need more help than other "modders"

The more languages we have the easier it is to play for non english speaking younger people as many first graders may be able to read their native language but may not yet be fluid in a foreign language.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 23:24

@Jordach: Mod translation has been discussed a couple of times. I am glad you want to make this thing a reality.
Please see here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10031
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/2270
I'm creating MineClone 2, a Minecraft clone for Minetest.
I made the Help modpack, adding in-game help to Minetest.

BrunoMine

GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Mon Feb 01, 2016 17:49

I think the weblate is just a dictionary of words.
Minetest translate from one language to another can not be done that way.

BrunoMine

GitHub: BrunoMine

by BrunoMine » Mon Feb 01, 2016 23:47

BrunoMine wrote:I think the weblate is just a dictionary of words.
Minetest translate from one language to another can not be done that way.

Ignore the posting above.^

I am determined to keep my mods compatible with intllib. Is there a better solution for the internationalization of mods? (before I start)

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Tue Feb 02, 2016 07:37

BrunoMine wrote:I am determined to keep my mods compatible with intllib. Is there a better solution for the internationalization of mods? (before I start)

I don't think we have client-side game/mod translations yet.

linushsao

IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:32

hope i could use Chinese_Traditional language in minetest... my input_method tools does'nt work under minetest.

octacian

GitHub: octacian
IRC: octacian
In-game: octacian

by octacian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 19:29

How can we add translations to mods? If it's easy to do, I'd be more than happy to translate my few WIP mods to other languages provided that I can get some help (Google translate isn't always that reliable...).
God isn't dead!

My Coolest Mods:
MicroExpansion, Working Computers, Interchangeable Hands

Check out my YouTube channel! (octacian)

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Tue Jun 21, 2016 04:15

endev15 wrote:How can we add translations to mods? If it's easy to do, I'd be more than happy to translate my few WIP mods to other languages provided that I can get some help (Google translate isn't always that reliable...).

There is no built-in method, but there is a mod called intllib. If a mod supports intllib, you can provide translation files to the mod author for inclusion in the mod.
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

Naj

GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: naj

by Naj » Tue Jun 21, 2016 09:39

LUA is missing in the poll :p

ARCHLINUX

by ARCHLINUX » Fri Jul 15, 2016 21:42

hmm chinese, sanskrit and old church slavic , Lì’fya leNa’vi
♕GNU♛

lordfingle

GitHub: eidy
IRC: lordfingle
In-game: lordfingle

by lordfingle » Thu Oct 13, 2016 22:01

I added Swahili recently
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Lead on "eidy- Love learning"
I like reading, walks on the beach and building edutech experiences in lua (Find out more in this post)
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." - Henry Ford

hajo

by hajo » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:17

alcipri wrote:
Ingar wrote:I prefer games and computer software in English.
having Minetest in different languages is a positive thing, never a negative thing.

Yes, but I still would like the installer to have an option
to select the languages that get installed on the disk.

That would help to avoid unneeded clutter,
and to keep the dropdown-menus short.

Also, I noticed that v0.4.14 doesn't have "en" as a language-choice.

Blank means system-default, and if that happens to be german,
the only way to get english seems to be to select something else,
and then delete the file for that language...
Some of 'my' wiki-pages: Build-a-home - basic-robot - basic-machines - digtron

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Sun Oct 30, 2016 09:04

hajo wrote:Also, I noticed that v0.4.14 doesn't have "en" as a language-choice.

Blank means system-default, and if that happens to be german,
the only way to get english seems to be to select something else,
and then delete the file for that language...

I've tried to add that in different way, but my PR was closed.

Also, you can still use:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
language = en

in your minetest.conf.
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

crazy_baboon

by crazy_baboon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 21:13

c++, never touched Lua

Return to Minetest General