Various Problems

capturts

Various Problems

by capturts » Sun Jul 29, 2012 17:34

I seem to have a problem with minetest, I'm not sure what extra details to give that would help so I will just describe the issue. I've searched in the forum and not found any similar problems.

I have self compliled 0.4 on linux.

I sometimes mine blocks and a few seconds later they reappear sometimes I even walk where the block was and then it comes back with me standing in it's place.. Sometimes I put stuff in the inventory to craft items and suddenly they jump back to the main inventory.

Any ideas?

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Sun Jul 29, 2012 17:37

Minetest works always (even in singleplayer mode) that the player is a client and send everything to a server. So it might be that there are problems in the communication between the server and client so it can be that you dig a block but the client dont send it to the server.

capturts

by capturts » Sun Jul 29, 2012 20:01

I've tried it single player stand alone and with the server and it does it just the same. it often works for a few minutes and then starts and then gets worse and eventually won't do Anything. What might be causing communication problems?

Topywo

by Topywo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 20:28

Your description resembles very much with what I consider "lag" --> slow building up of the environment and (long) time between action and result.

- If you wait for a while, do the reappeared blocks disappear again (into your inventory)?
- If you wait for a while, do the jumped back items reappear again in the main inventory?

Yes --> then it's lag.

Do you use an old computer and/or a lot of mods and or a high pixel texturepack? --> Probably also make it lag more

Here's one of the latest topics about lag: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2475

Compiling the latest version (28-07-2012 (0.4.2.)) might also help (it's less frying my processor than 0.4.1). If you didn't compile as described here https://github.com/celeron55/minetest ,(scroll down), under the readme.txt, you might want to try that this time.

Good luck!

capturts

by capturts » Mon Jul 30, 2012 00:26

That seems to have fixed it. I compiled 0.4.2 and all seems well. Although I've not added any mods, yet. I definitely didn't seem to be a 'lag' problem. I'll add some mods and see what happens. Thanks :)

OdinAllfather

by OdinAllfather » Fri Aug 17, 2012 06:17

alright im having a problem on version 4.2 im trying to loggin but i keep same password invalid even if i type slowly key for key
"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."
—Grettir, The Saga of Grettir the Strong

Cattle die, kinsmen die; the self must also die. I know one thing which never dies: the reputation of each dead man.
Hávamál, st. 77

Topywo

by Topywo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 06:32

OdinAllfather wrote:alright im having a problem on version 4.2 im trying to loggin but i keep same password invalid even if i type slowly key for key

1.a. try logging in without a password
1.b. CapsLock?
2. Multiplayer game on your own computer or are you trying to connect to one of the servers?

Return to Minetest Problems