Post your mod requests/ideas here

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Tue Aug 14, 2012 07:02

I just got the zeppelin mod for minecraft. MOST AMAZING MINECRAFT MOD EVER. We should have something like this in minetest. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/488434-125-zeppelin-031-wip/

Kacey

by Kacey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:26

since i failed epicly at making my mod can someone make it for me
the idea was duct tape
after a certain amount of time, different blocks begin to decay slowly
and you can fix them with duct tape
(when i tried to do this it wiped out my minetest client so now im overhauling it (almost) completely)
on a scale of 1 to 10 i am OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 17:08

Stef wrote:maybe that you can write on signs like in the real MC, More Arrows mod, light arrow, exploding arrow and that arrows stay sticking in the walls

Sign Mod has been released!

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 17:24

InfinityProject wrote:I just got the zeppelin mod for minecraft. MOST AMAZING MINECRAFT MOD EVER. We should have something like this in minetest. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/488434-125-zeppelin-031-wip/

Cool!

I think minetest needs to fully support carts first before this happens...

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 21:40

tonyka wrote:I have an idea that I would love to see done:
This really is not Mod's, it would have to be modified the code in c + +,

Let's talk about sound:

MT could apply advanced management of sound, giving 3d pseudo properties.
Basic way to start would be to provide to the nodes of sound propagation characteristics:
  • Conductivity of audio: when a sound "collides" with the node, can do to decrease the volume, a certain percentage, which can create soundproof rooms, or make the sound does not lose strength in the liquid ....
  • Reflection of the audio: make a sound when it collides with a node, this is repeated with the value extracted from the collision,
  • Reflex delay audio: make the sound a certain time later in repeated after colliding.

Later they could give more advanced properties ...
in real life to bounce the audio elements that adopts a series of modifications in its waveform, the most obvious example is the metallicity, all children of my generation, we used a tin can, as a sounding board to say this "looke, I am your father" ...

Is perhaps silly of me to suggest something, but it would be great to put heavi-metal music in the room the child, Madonna in the bedroom of the daughter, and chill music in the room of parents and the classroom, without blend sounds ...

sorry for my English ... I use google translator

This is not possible, even with c++. Only i premium level engine would be able to this (eg: source, cry engine, unreal 4, etc)

Belgac

by Belgac » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09

rubenwardy wrote:

Let's talk about sound:

Basic way to start would be to provide to the nodes of sound propagation characteristics:
  • Conductivity of audio: when a sound "collides" with the node, can do to decrease the volume, a certain percentage, which can create soundproof rooms, or make the sound does not lose strength in the liquid ....
  • Reflection of the audio: make a sound when it collides with a node, this is repeated with the value extracted from the collision,
  • Reflex delay audio: make the sound a certain time later in repeated after colliding.

in real life to bounce the audio elements that adopts a series of modifications in its waveform, the most obvious example is the metallicity, all children of my generation, we used a tin can, as a sounding board to say this "looke, I am your father" ...

Is perhaps silly of me to suggest something, but it would be great to put heavi-metal music in the room the child, Madonna in the bedroom of the daughter, and chill music in the room of parents and the classroom, without blend sounds ...

This is not possible, even with c++. Only i premium level engine would be able to this (eg: source, cry engine, unreal 4, etc)

My question may seem stupid but even if i understand how hard this would be to code, i don't understand why it wouldn't be possible with c++. I mean are'nt all the premium level engines you are talking about coded in this language?

edit: Or maybe you mean irrlicht is blocking this kind of functionality?
Last edited by Belgac on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Contributor: Plant aging library
Creator: (soon)

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 17:48

Belgac wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:

Let's talk about sound:

My question may seem stupid but even if i understand how hard this would be to code, i don't understand why it wouldn't be possible with c++. I mean are'nt all the premium level engines you are talking about coded in this language?

edit: Or maybe you mean irrlicht is blocking this kind of functionality?

If minetest supported this, then it would be more expensive than Minecraft and loss one of its "selling" points: compatiblity with older computers.

Irrlicht is opensource and does not block any functionality.

It is not worth it.

EDIT: Just thinking about it, you could use RayCasts to "fake" this effect to detect if blocks are between player and source, and so lower the sound, but it would cause lags and increase CPU useage, and so is not worth it
Last edited by rubenwardy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Stef

by Stef » Fri Aug 17, 2012 07:04

1) maybe more biomes like jungles , swamps, rocky mountains, icemountains, coralreef, ...

2) al the mods of the yogbox ;) (kidding), but it would be verry nice if someone could make al these mods
Last edited by Stef on Fri Aug 17, 2012 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my crappy english, im dutch :D

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:10

Stef wrote:1) maybe more biomes like jungles , swamps, rocky mountains, icemountains, coralreef, ...

+15

Rickmor

by Rickmor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:00

hunger like in minecraft and pigs all over the place

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58

[REQUEST] Quests

1) build a quest node and place it
2) open it (like a chest) to see the quest text, any required items, and the reward
3) insert the required item into the slot, then you can take the reward

Once this is done, repeat step 1 to get the next quest.

cornernote

by cornernote » Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:43

[request] Mailbox - send stuff to other players
(idea from chat with RealBadAngel)

1) build a mailbox and place it
2) open it (like a chest) to see messages/items you have been sent, and a place to send a message/items
3) after sending a message/item, another player can build a mailbox to see it and get the items
Last edited by cornernote on Sat Aug 18, 2012 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

cornernote

by cornernote » Mon Aug 20, 2012 17:02

[request] block shrink (convert to nodebox)

Player builds in a 10x10x10 area with one material. When done they "shrink" the area into a single node (using a nodebox)

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Mon Aug 20, 2012 17:40

Rickmor wrote:hunger like in minecraft and pigs all over the place

Blockplanet had hunger, and pigs... you can find them anywhere - although you may know them as griefers! (Bad joke)
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Tue Aug 21, 2012 00:44

A node box player? huh huh anyone? Like Like? Would be friggin sweet.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 01:33

InfinityProject wrote:A node box player? huh huh anyone? Like Like? Would be friggin sweet.

3D Player mod? (already done in c++)

--------------------

Shared locked boxes!

(Players can share locked boxes)

OdinAllfather

by OdinAllfather » Tue Aug 21, 2012 06:11

Can someone teach me how to mod minetest
"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."
—Grettir, The Saga of Grettir the Strong

Cattle die, kinsmen die; the self must also die. I know one thing which never dies: the reputation of each dead man.
Hávamál, st. 77

Casimir

by Casimir » Tue Aug 21, 2012 07:53

Just start by manipulating other mods to work the way you want them to. This is the way I learned it.

And here are some resources:
Tutorial: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1087
Programming in Lua: http://www.lua.org/pil/
And you will need this: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 08:52

OdinAllfather wrote:Can someone teach me how to mod minetest

Here is a quick link to the tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/mt-tut

Rickmor

by Rickmor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:37

only enchating and making potions and fishing

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 13:40

Rickmor wrote:only enchating and making potions and fishing

Fishing will be added in the Animals mod soon.

One of the downsides of Minecraft is that people think that Enchanting and Potion making makes it too much of a RPG.

Echo

by Echo » Mon Aug 27, 2012 08:58

rubenwardy wrote:[...]Enchanting and Potion making makes it too much of a RPG.

+1

leto_atrey

by leto_atrey » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:27

Two ideas came to mind when I replied another thread.

1. A mod to enable head-tracking. This means the mouse would control the avatar-hands-only, and a user could look elsewhere while mining. This would be really useful if:
1.a. a future mod makes using vehicles possible in the game. I saw a post on the first page of this thread dealing with rocket launchers and decided that I'd rather be able to craft and use a bulldozer than a rocket launcher.

2. A mod that makes maps for alternative planet/moon terrains. Specifically, I'd suggest a Moon Mod, where:
  • the gravity is 1/6 of 'normal'
  • the outside environment requires you craft an environment suit to work (no air)
    (This is an excellent way of thinking about 'armor' in another context )
  • the map doesn't spawn water, you have to make it using a furnace (come on, that's only logical and obvious)
  • Water Freezes Outside - so you can make Ice
  • if you can make/craft water, the same goes for air
  • the map doesn't spawn dirt, trees, etc. You'd have to grow those inside of glass domes, presumably...
  • the map is a finite spheroid - no bottomless pits
  • the days are 14 times longer, and so are the nights
  • the surface is an interconnected but random distribution of 'maria' (seas), mountains, and craters

This type of mod would be ideal for a 'survival' type of gameplay, in my opinion. To suggest a scenario - when you start you begin with a limited amount of air, water, and basic supplies. This translates to some number of 'days', but the day/night cycle is 14 times longer than normal. Therefore, a small number of days before you 'starve'/'suffocate'. Crafting the means for long-term gameplay is essential at the beginning, and then you're able to expand and explore more of the map.

Another long term goal might be to find out where on the map you've spawned. If the map were finite, then instead of a Moon in the night sky, you'd be looking for the Earth, as a navigational aid of sorts. A very long term goal might be to 'terraform' the entire map's surface, or only the side that the Earth can see, perhaps?

An added bonus - the environment itself can kill the avatar, meaning, there's no need of mobs of any kind. Those could be accommodated later, but aren't necessary for the 'survival' aspect. Unless, of course, you prefer something else to Moon rat.
Last edited by leto_atrey on Mon Aug 27, 2012 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

Menche

by Menche » Mon Aug 27, 2012 16:23

leto_atrey wrote:An added bonus - the environment itself can kill the avatar, meaning, there's no need of mobs of any kind

An idea I had that fits with this, make the player able to freeze to death. It should be possible currently, if you equate heat with light. Periodically check all players, and if the light level at their position is too low, remove some health.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Aug 27, 2012 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.
I am on the Voxelands Forums more often than here.
Try Voxelands (forked from Minetest 0.3) by darkrose

Echo

by Echo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 06:45

leto_atrey wrote:[...]
    [...]

Water in open space first starts boiling. Then the vapor starts slowly freezing.

B.t.w. for all science fiction fans:
A body in space isn't exploding: the pressure on earth is about 1 bar. In space 0 bar, a difference of 1 bar. Ever dived deeper than 10m? Did you explode when coming up?
A body in space isn't freezing instantly: sure, the temperature is very low. But temperature is an attribute of material. In space is not much material, so there is almost nothing a body could give its temerature to. It takes a loooooong time to freeze. Oh, the sun keeps shining, so the body could more probably overheat, because it can't loose the energy.
What happens than? The water on surface of the skin boils and is gone. The skin protects against the missing pressure. I guess you should also be able to hold your breath. You will just choke.

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 09:04

Echo wrote:B.t.w. for all science fiction fans:
A body in space isn't exploding: the pressure on earth is about 1 bar. In space 0 bar, a difference of 1 bar. Ever dived deeper than 10m? Did you explode when coming up?
A body in space isn't freezing instantly: sure, the temperature is very low. But temperature is an attribute of material. In space is not much material, so there is almost nothing a body could give its temerature to. It takes a loooooong time to freeze. Oh, the sun keeps shining, so the body could more probably overheat, because it can't loose the energy.
What happens than? The water on surface of the skin boils and is gone. The skin protects against the missing pressure. I guess you should also be able to hold your breath. You will just choke.

nice

PilzAdam

GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:25

Echo wrote:
leto_atrey wrote:[...]
    [...]

Water in open space first starts boiling. Then the vapor starts slowly freezing.

B.t.w. for all science fiction fans:

And the body will be accelerated because the photons of the sun "push" them away.

RabbiBob

by RabbiBob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38

Echo wrote:A body in space isn't exploding: the pressure on earth is about 1 bar. In space 0 bar, a difference of 1 bar. Ever dived deeper than 10m? Did you explode when coming up?

Odd, I've made reference to Joseph Kittinger twice this morning here:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

You do run the risk of swelling\bloating & embolisms forming when the body is exposed to a vacuum.

leto_atrey

by leto_atrey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:22

Glad to get a few bites on the idea, at any rate.

Echo wrote: Water in open space first starts boiling. Then the vapor starts slowly freezing.

Water in reduced pressures (like very high altitude on Earth) will readily 'boil' too. Agreed, and I wasn't aiming for absolute realism (its Minetest, after all). But it is interesting to note that the space suits developed for Moon work used water exposed to the 'vacuum' - and I'm hesitant to call it that! - to cool the suit. So it obviously works fast enough, n'est-ce pas?

There's also a major difference between the environment during the day, and during the night, in the form of radiation. The 'temperature' wouldn't be a constant, in that regard.

My $0.02 remain the same: I'd prefer mining on the Moon as an alternative take on the sandbox-miner to any amount of mod-cloning of 'The Nether', or various other RPG elements. I think it would set Minetest apart, personally.

[Edit]
...and daring to be different, I thought that was part of the goal, TBH.

P.S. RIP Neal! You've left behind some pretty big small steps, for a man.
Last edited by leto_atrey on Tue Aug 28, 2012 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Echo

by Echo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 13:11

leto_atrey wrote:[...] But it is interesting to note that the space suits developed for Moon work used water exposed to the 'vacuum' - and I'm hesitant to call it that! - to cool the suit. So it obviously works fast enough, n'est-ce pas?[...]

It's called evaporative cooler. Changing from liquid to gas needs energy, so evaporating water cools, no matter at which temperature it boils. That's why I jump into a lake and let the water dry by itself.

Oh, just to mention. I only said all that, because I really like the idea of a moon-mod so much. The gameplay could be more challenging when you have to check your oxygen and can't just go out for mining or harvesting.

PreviousNext

Return to Modding Discussion