6%

Total votes : 35

taikedz

GitHub: taikedz
IRC: DuCake
In-game: DuCake

Virtual Meetup

by taikedz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 21:15

NOTE -- If you are interested in participating in an in-person meetup, discuss in the Minetest Convention / MESECon thread

---

Sunday 18th of September 2016 at 20:00 GMT we will be online on the irc at freenode #mt-meetup

http://webchat.freenode.net , channel #mt-meetup

This first meetup will be IRC-based to cater to the non-audio attendees, and to address two points specifically:

* what form should a wider meetup take? (and any role/task assignments)
* what audio software to use, if any?

Anybody who would like to pitch ideas and direct a project around the premise of a virtual meetup is welcome to participate.
Last edited by taikedz on Sun Sep 18, 2016 15:56, edited 8 times in total.

MineYoshi

GitHub: MineYosh
IRC: MineYoshi
In-game: Kirby_Retro

Re: Virtual Meetup

by MineYoshi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 21:22

Maybe in a week? I woulda like to be there :D
People talk about freedom of speech, so i'll say that God exists.
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt
I'm the Officially 1st ABJist in the world ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

taikedz

by taikedz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 21:28

Made a poll for the software.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 21:33

A Minetest server only opened once a year can be a good idea :D, justly for the members in the virtual meetup!
Open your eyes!! See The big unicorn conspiracy.!! :D The government has been lying to us about unicorns!!
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin" - Linus Van Pelt

Byakuren

GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri

by Byakuren » Sun Sep 04, 2016 22:09

Does Tox support group video already?
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

taikedz

by taikedz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 22:23

Byakuren wrote:Does Tox support group video already?

I only noted that it "supported" video https://wiki.tox.chat/clients/qtox

Specifically group audio or video.... not sure actually. Will test eventually.... There will also be the question of how to transfer identities around for the meetup come to think of it.... putting IDs out on the forum seems like a silly idea....

EDIT - so it looks like it's supposed to support it, but I don't know how good/stable it is.... but it exists.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sun Sep 04, 2016 22:52

So the Virtual Meetup will be with "Qtox"?
Also, would be nice that i you could talk with people that speak the same language, not only English, German, French, Spanish, etc... Too!

ExeterDad

In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Mon Sep 05, 2016 01:10

I could host a meetup in the New England area, Exeter N.H. (my town) actually. I could get a function room at one of our hotels that seats 60. Tables, chairs WiFi and light refreshments.
I'm not a key member here (as far as knowledge and contributions), but I'd consider hosting so I can meet a few :)

Edit: Crap. I got this thread mixed up with the other thread. Sorry
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Kibbie and I have a beautiful public server now! HOMETOWN

taikedz

by taikedz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 07:15

ExeterDad wrote:I could host a meetup in the New England area, Exeter N.H. (my town) actually.

And here I thought you'd be in the UK group :-P

ExeterDad wrote:Edit: Crap. I got this thread mixed up with the other thread. Sorry

Oh, the vagueries of choice!

taikedz

by taikedz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 07:23

MineYoshi wrote:So the Virtual Meetup will be with "Qtox"?

We can do a first try of some prep calls in qTox to see how well it works. If video works OK for at least 5 feeds, that will be a good sign.

Otherwise, the Mumble + dedicated world may have to be the preferred option.... which is not bad in itself (despite the need for dedicated software), though I'd love to have a good builder to make a nice space in advance first, just because :-P

MineYoshi wrote:Also, would be nice that i you could talk with people that speak the same language, not only English, German, French, Spanish, etc... Too!

Maybe.... I know it is more fun to talk with people in native language, but can you imagine a single audio/video channel with several languages going on? Many people will get lost/bored/annoyed.... We would have to have a different meetup for the different languages I think... and maybe you can organise the LATAM/Spanish one? ;-)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 23:47

taikedz wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:So the Virtual Meetup will be with "Qtox"?

We can do a first try of some prep calls in qTox to see how well it works. If video works OK for at least 5 feeds, that will be a good sign.

Otherwise, the Mumble + dedicated world may have to be the preferred option.... which is not bad in itself (despite the need for dedicated software), though I'd love to have a good builder to make a nice space in advance first, just because :-P

MineYoshi wrote:Also, would be nice that i you could talk with people that speak the same language, not only English, German, French, Spanish, etc... Too!

Maybe.... I know it is more fun to talk with people in native language, but can you imagine a single audio/video channel with several languages going on? Many people will get lost/bored/annoyed.... We would have to have a different meetup for the different languages I think... and maybe you can organise the LATAM/Spanish one? ;-)

Of course i can do it :D
Many people would like to be in!

About world: Do something with competitions and PVP! Likely the best server for a week!

garywhite

GitHub: garywhite207
IRC: same as MT name
In-game: garywhite garywhite1

by garywhite » Tue Sep 06, 2016 04:03

What about a server where players can world-edit in their best builds and have a building contest?

taikedz

by taikedz » Tue Sep 06, 2016 05:56

garywhite wrote:What about a server where players can world-edit in their best builds and have a building contest?

I had thought about suggesting importing the best builds from various worlds as a showcase.... :-P though that would require a lot of coordination from server admins and permission seeking, or would the contestants themselves be able to export their builds? Also the headache of having all the requisite materials...

But maybe also a building contest could be of interest...

I could envisage a week-long thing where "contenders" (determined somehow??) would have fly/fast/interact/give and special tools, with other visitors simply having shout; and the final day we'd also open the audio channel and kick off the actual virtual meetup then.... or something.

garywhite

by garywhite » Tue Sep 06, 2016 18:59

I would be willing to join the team for this, doing whatever. I can't use mumble though, if that would be an issue.

taikedz

by taikedz » Tue Sep 06, 2016 20:28

garywhite wrote:I would be willing to join the team for this, doing whatever. I can't use mumble though, if that would be an issue.

Do you know if players can export their world edit schematics or do the relevant admins have to do it? Sorry i feally have no clue what it would entail, workflow-wise

garywhite

by garywhite » Wed Sep 07, 2016 06:57

Only players who have WorldEdit on the servers they build on can export WorldEdit schematics, as that is part of the WorldEdit GUI, which requires a privilege to use.

taikedz

by taikedz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 08:03

So far the small poll seems to favour a dedicated world and an audio channel.

Second audio option is Tox which raises the question of sharing IDs.

I think if tox were the choice i would create a private page with the keys and PM details of page access to participants so they could log in to see them....

For the world if people were to import their builds it would mean loading many mods to ensure their designs remained intact and that could quickly become huge. I would be more in favour of inviting a small number of people (maybe 10, max 20?) on to build and then have a meetup amongst these....

Thoughts on any of these points?

taikedz

by taikedz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 08:15

MineYoshi wrote:About world: Do something with competitions and PVP! Likely the best server for a week!

Maaaaaaybe......... :P

I have never been on any PvP server - any particularly good ones, what mods would be necessary?

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 20:04

taikedz wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:About world: Do something with competitions and PVP! Likely the best server for a week!

Maaaaaaybe......... :P

I have never been on any PvP server - any particularly good ones, what mods would be necessary?

Test of Duty Dungeon Masters.

I think about some kind of city with building, likely mazes, PVP arenas, Shops, Hunger Games arena, etc...

taikedz

by taikedz » Wed Sep 07, 2016 21:55

Right it looks like the votes are definitely leaning towards a dedicated world with the potential second choice being Tox, making it the main audio alternative to mumble.

garywhite has already said he does not/cannot use mumble, so if nobody objects we can move towards focusing on Tox as first tryouts?

I expect the first meetup to be in a fresh world (I can provide hosting for that), and we can test the audio, and decide the direction to take the next meetup.

As for frequency.... can we try to aim for once every 3 months for the first few, and then decide again afterwards?

As for date and time... I am toying with Saturday 17th September at 19:00 UTC (which is 20:00 BST for London, 21:00 CEST Warsaw, 15:00 EST for New York, 12:00 PDT Los Angeles)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 23:42

taikedz wrote:Right it looks like the votes are definitely leaning towards a dedicated world with the potential second choice being Tox, making it the main audio alternative to mumble.

garywhite has already said he does not/cannot use mumble, so if nobody objects we can move towards focusing on Tox as first tryouts?

I expect the first meetup to be in a fresh world (I can provide hosting for that), and we can test the audio, and decide the direction to take the next meetup.

As for frequency.... can we try to aim for once every 3 months for the first few, and then decide again afterwards?

As for date and time... I am toying with Saturday 17th September at 19:00 UTC (which is 20:00 BST for London, 21:00 CEST Warsaw, 15:00 EST for New York, 12:00 PDT Los Angeles)

In 10 Days aprox. I'll see if i can! :D
I never used Mumble before, i'll see how it works to don't have problems with it.

garywhite

by garywhite » Thu Sep 08, 2016 08:02

I may not be able to be there on the 17th...For the next three weeks, the only Saturday I have open is 24 Sept...Also I can't use any audio client, but I can use IRC if that works

srifqi

GitHub: srifqi
IRC: srifqi
In-game: srifqi

by srifqi » Fri Sep 09, 2016 14:27

taikedz wrote:Right it looks like the votes are definitely leaning towards a dedicated world with the potential second choice being Tox, making it the main audio alternative to mumble.

Good point. I'll try to use Tox client.

taikedz wrote:I expect the first meetup to be in a fresh world (I can provide hosting for that), and we can test the audio, and decide the direction to take the next meetup.

Thanks for the hosting.

taikedz wrote:As for frequency.... can we try to aim for once every 3 months for the first few, and then decide again afterwards?

Maybe every 2 months?

taikedz wrote:As for date and time... I am toying with Saturday 17th September at 19:00 UTC (which is 20:00 BST for London, 21:00 CEST Warsaw, 15:00 EST for New York, 12:00 PDT Los Angeles)

I have exams since 16th September 2016 until 24th September 2016. Also, 19.00 UTC means 23.00 West Indonesia Time, which is a midnight. Let's see if I can join.
I'm from Indonesia! Saya dari Indonesia!
Terjemahkan Minetest!
Mods by me. Modifikasi oleh saya.

Pronounce my nick as in: es-rifqi (IPA: /es rifˈki/)

taikedz

by taikedz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 14:59

OK it turns out I myself won't be able to make that date and time.... I had a prior engagement that I had forgotten about.

Bummer. Back to the drawing board.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Fri Sep 09, 2016 22:17

taikedz wrote:OK it turns out I myself won't be able to make that date and time.... I had a prior engagement that I had forgotten about.

Bummer. Back to the drawing board.

Today (Or at least in my Time Zone) it's 9 of september... The meetup was going to be at 17th September at 19:00 UTC, but since taikedz can't be there with us... A good day to try it it's the next one or the 18th of september. Or instead try the 24th at the same hour.
What do you think?...

garywhite

by garywhite » Sat Sep 10, 2016 06:17

The 18th or 24th works for me.
Also, depending on the number of people that plan to show up in the world, I can provide the world for the starting meet, but there is a 12-player limit.

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 17:58

garywhite wrote:I can provide the world for the starting meet, but there is a 12-player limit.

There isn't any problem with that, actually i don't think that there going to be more than 11 players...

taikedz

by taikedz » Sat Sep 10, 2016 19:49

Hi guys

Thanks for the offer garywhite - will you be able to keep it online for an extended period of time? If not I can still provide a server with vanilla mods, I have the space still. Might simply leave it in creative mode with unified inventory.

For the date..... let's do the 18th then shall we?

For the audio, I propose tox - given that we need to mutually accept contacts, publishing Tox IDs should not be a problem. For non-audio partcipants, I can link up the chat to a freenode IRC

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 21:32

taikedz wrote:Hi guys

Thanks for the offer garywhite - will you be able to keep it online for an extended period of time? If not I can still provide a server with vanilla mods, I have the space still. Might simply leave it in creative mode with unified inventory.

For the date..... let's do the 18th then shall we?

For the audio, I propose tox - given that we need to mutually accept contacts, publishing Tox IDs should not be a problem. For non-audio partcipants, I can link up the chat to a freenode IRC

+100

taikedz

by taikedz » Sat Sep 10, 2016 23:14

OK so I have set up a preliminary server.

0.4.14 with minetest_game , mg_v5 and

* protector
    * bakedclay
    * moreblocks
    * books (placeable as nodes)
    * inventory_plus
    * simple_skins
    * inbox (from homedecor)
    * zcg craft guide
    * travelnet
    * IRC integration (freenode.net , channel #mt-meetup )
    * BlockMen's cme mobs

Hopefully that'll make it fun enough whilst keeping it super-light and straightforward.

Everyone spawns with fast, fly and some introductory building materials.

play.ducakedhare.co.uk - port 30003 ; initial password 'mytest'

I'll remove the initial password when we get to second meeting or so. For now, everything is just preliminary.

Next

Return to Minetest General