Some Ideas

slasheree

Some Ideas

by slasheree » Fri Jun 15, 2012 15:39

Since I found this game I can't stop having ideas for it...

I found this game like 3 days ago, and I used the 0.3 version at first, so I started making textures for what could be added to the game. I know I'm not good at pixel-art, but I tried my best and came up with these:
but then I used the 0.4 version, and my textures were blasted away :'c

And then I searched for what could be fixed in the game:

1- If you destroy a block with a torch above it, the torch will stay 'hovering', You could either make it fall ( maybe in the future you could make the items entities, like in minecraft, and fall ) or you could add a system like in terraria, when you broke a block from where the torch was it would go to the block right beside it, so imagine it's like this:

| Le wall |/| torch is the / in the middle of the two blocks, and when you break the left block --> \| Le wall to the right |

2- You could make the input for the chat more 'friendly', don't show that console...
3- Increase the range of the torch by a little more

And some stuff that would make this game totally better than all other I've found, Like... If people don't want mobs and stuff for this game and only want to build they should go play cubelands or minecraft... What I like about minecraft is the 'survival' thing going on, but they have so few mobs... and the weapons are all so boringly the same... So I though (and some may be repetitive):

1- Weapons: Sword ( a must have for all hack n' slash games )
Spear - Does less damage than the sword, goes in a 'piercing' motion (check terraria),goes further than the sword
Bastard Sword ( slower than the sword but stronger )
Slingshot (use one rock block to make 10 rock pellets or one iron block to make 10 iron pellets(do more damage) Probably the game will use an ammo system like minecraft ( have the ammo in the inventory )
Bow and Arrow ( does more damage than the slingshot but has less knockback, again with various ammo types but this time add a stick:wood,rock,iron,etc )
Crossbow ( does more damage than the bow but is slower maybe it makes you move slower... )

2- Magic: Magic is something that lacks in some RPG's, they think it's all about weapons and adding specials to the weapons.
Maybe magic could exist in this game but only for the privileged ones who are lucky to catch a shiny star ( I know it looks like terraria, but maybe make it a very very rare occurance, and when you use that shiny star you get some mana bar (and after another it increases until it reaches a limit) and I don't know yet but maybe you could use a book (very rare to find in dungeons) to learn the corresponding spell and then it turns into dust.

2- Add more ores, minecraft is so boring cause it doesn't have diversity in ores (only wood,stone,iron,gold,diamond)

3- Load of mobs, I hate minecraft cause it doesn't have that much mobs, but please... don't put anything like creepers --' I hate them XD Maybe you could put orcs instead of zombies and they could have fortresses which have loot in the king's chest. Skeletons could extend to swords instead of only using the bow. I saw a Big Snail that leaves slime behind idea, I loved it. The Wyverns like in terraria. And many more. Ohh, and add various interactive npcs like food seller, armor seller, etc.

4- Maybe mix between minecraft Nether and End, and Terraria's Underworld and Floating Islands ( maybe add wings to the game but that consume your mana )

5- Maybe add potions, but not like in minecraft, maybe you combine enemy drops to make 'essences', for instance if you add a green essence with a red essence it would make a violet essence ( still think this idea need to be worked up a little more)

6- More ideas that I might come up with I'll add to this topic.

Hope you like it and think about putting them in the game. And sorry if some phrases seem messed up, I'm not english. Thank you :)

Stef

by Stef » Fri Jun 15, 2012 15:50

very nice ideas but i think its still impossible to code that
Sorry for my crappy english, im dutch :D

Calinou

GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:03

Hi, idea guy!
You know you can make mods in Lua in 0.4? :P

slasheree

by slasheree » Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:19

So i've seen... I once coded Lua for MTASA ( Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Multiplayer ), but I want this to be part of the game, and not just an addon xP ( btw, mythril is better if it's green XD )

[EDIT]

And I forgot to mention, to keep adding better graphical features, such as antialiasing, HDR, SSAO, and lots more XD
Last edited by slasheree on Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou

by Calinou » Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:30

See my More Ores mod. :P
celeron55 will not add more mods into the official game until the API gets stabilized. There is experimental antialiasing (anyway, AA sucks); SSAO/HDR are just pointless performance hogs.
Last edited by Calinou on Fri Jun 15, 2012 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

kddekadenz

GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:30

'Your' ideas are mostly robbed from Minecraft.

slasheree

by slasheree » Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:33

Of course it would need the check box, not everyone need to have SSAO,etc

kddekadenz, I believe you are a minecraft fan ?... O.o

[EDIT] It seems to me you don't quite get the possibilities of C++ and Irrlicht VS Java
Last edited by slasheree on Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:20

kddekadenz wrote:'Your' ideas are mostly robbed from Minecraft.

true dat!

slasheree

by slasheree » Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:33

could you tell me which ideas ?

[EDIT] Thought so...

Anyway, I also searched for cool effects that could be added to the game much more futurely, for each of them you could like make a checkbox or a scrollbar to define the value:

1- Motion Blur ( scrollbar to define amount, being 0 turned off )
2- Depth of Field ( checkbox )
3- Bloom ( scrollbar to define amount )
4- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) ( checkbox )
5- Anti-Aliasing ( scrollbar but I don't think you need more than 4x )
6- Anisotropic filtering ( up to 16x )
7- Maybe a 'Shadow Quality' scrollbar

Adding these to the game would so kick minecraft's cubic @ss XD
Thank's in advance for those who read this and give feedback and really hope Celeron55 reads this :)
Last edited by slasheree on Sat Jun 16, 2012 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Liandri

by Liandri » Mon Jun 18, 2012 17:10

Calinou wrote:See my More Ores mod. :P
celeron55 will not add more mods into the official game until the API gets stabilized. There is experimental antialiasing (anyway, AA sucks); SSAO/HDR are just pointless performance hogs.

Can you explain more in depth why do you think AA sucks?

I have tested the latest nightly build with AA enabled and it looks way better...

Now back on topic and with slasheree's permission i will add two more option to his list :P

8- Selectable mouse sensivity
9- Selectable FOV

Calinou

by Calinou » Mon Jun 18, 2012 17:13

FOV can be changed, minetest.conf:
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
fov = 72

Is the default value.

Also, AA is experimental and may show artifacts; it sucks because it reduces FPS and it is just irrealistic.

Liandri

by Liandri » Tue Jun 19, 2012 00:34

fov is not in the minetest.conf.example file, that's why I missed it, but is good to know that it's available :D

The latest build with AA enabled works perfectly (OpenGL & Direct3D) with no issues.

Yes, it's true that AA is a known frame rate eater, but it's also known for enhance a little bit the overall image quality making the jagged egdes less noticeables.

If you see AA as an irrealistic effect, you can allways disable it. Althought talking about realism in a world made of 1 meter cubes, and every cube made of a bunch of pixels is a little funny xD

After reading I must suppose that SSAO, AA, AF, HDR, bloom and such image enhancer effects must sucks just because it comes at a price, a (litle) performance loss, oh well...

slasheree

by slasheree » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:00

Maybe your computer doesn't have what it takes to handle the 'pressure' :b, anyways you could always disable it if you liked. I'm just suggesting adding these effects for those who wan't to push their pc to the max. :)

slasheree

by slasheree » Wed Jun 20, 2012 18:58

Another idea and this would make this game different from minecraft, adding mounts that you could control and with some variety (not just horses, but maybe turtles,foxes,etc)

Return to Minetest Features