[Mod] 4 Seasons [20120709-final][4seasons]

mauvebic

[Mod] 4 Seasons [20120709-final][4seasons]

by mauvebic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:15

fullsize http://www.zimg.eu/i/1426873215

forked from madblocks, this is the 4seasons complete with chatfunctions (server priv), birds, palmtrees and slimtrees - init.lua: options at the top, crafts at the end of file.

Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
/season spring
/season summer
/season fall
/season winter
/season pause
Last edited by mauvebic on Sat Dec 08, 2012 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck the hat." - Paulie Gualtieri

Nemo08

by Nemo08 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:35

How about speed of changes? Old Xyz's Seasons mod produced a terrible lags

Topywo

by Topywo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42

I like the seasons. Thanks for forking it out.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:43

line 8
Your phone or window isn't wide enough to display the code box. If it's a phone, try rotating it to landscape mode.
Code: Select all
WEATHER_CHANGE_INTERVAL = 60

double or triple it if you want

if still lag, set BIRDS = false (or if you find them annoying lol)
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:38

found these in the screenshots thread
Summer:
Autumn:
Winter:
Spring:

neo

by neo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 18:04

: ) nice.

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Mon Jul 16, 2012 13:19

Please expand on the description, tweak the subject to match the forum's requirement (something like "[Mod] Four Seasons [4seasons]" is sufficient), and also indicate to what parts the license applies. Also add a list of what this mod depends on.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:11

the license is WTFPL it always applies to everything.
i dont need to write the name twice in the subject title, its 4seasons, not "four seasons"
and the description is fine? the screenshot a dead giveaway.
and no dependencies. everything i fork and put up now is 0 depedency
Last edited by mauvebic on Mon Jul 16, 2012 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:49

bugfix for win clients

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 06:09

Mod moved back, because Forum guidelines not followed
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

VanessaE

GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaEzekowitz

by VanessaE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 08:15

Post edited to fix errors. Should fit the guidelines now.
You might like some of my stuff:
Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (16-512px)
Tips (BTC): 13LdcdUFcNCFAm7HfvAXh5GHTjCnnQj6KE

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Fri Jul 20, 2012 08:41

Last edited by mauvebic on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5

GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 08:46

Moved
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke
Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 23:19

I though that the leaves of deciduous trees ''fall'' in autumn...
You could simply change the winter texture of the leaves to what looks like bare branches, if that would look ok.
Resources are abundant; only money is scarce. People should not have to work hard and remain poor just to pay for the needs of survival.
Society can thrive without money - but only if productive members of society are rewarded for being productive.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sun Jul 22, 2012 09:18

tbh 4seasons was the first thing i forked because i dont play w/ it on my servers anymore. There were some noticeable performance drops when 20120606 came out.

Even though i personally championned any new drawtypes, im not crazy about nodebox, and node placement prediction seems to fail miserably by placing all my signlike items in any other position/angle than the one i clicked on lol.

I might take minetest_game and minimal and see if i cant come up with a game/servertype thats in between.

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:17

I was wondering if there might be any chance for something like a madblocks_full distributed as a modpack so that people could update from one source and simply rm the subdirectories for the mods they don't actually want in the pack. This is the style mesecons now uses, and it has made my mods directory quite a bit cleaner.

Either that, or perhaps you could offer repository access for them so one script could easily go through and pull the updates for all the mods of yours that I use? Checking one thread for my Madblocks fix is fairly easy. Checking 4 or more, while certainly doable, is a bit more cumbersome.

Whatever you choose (including the status quo), I want to thank you for such a wonderful (set of) mod(s). The seasons were the original reason Madblocks caught my interest, but there turned out to be so much there that I doubt any of it will get old to me anytime soon.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 16:15

Im not gonna put everything back together when i just finished splitting them up :P

some of the reasons why i did it:

- madblocks as a whole was too heavy to run on public servers
- most people like some parts but not all of it (naturally)
- ive been playing w/o some of the parts for a while now
- some of the forks are no longer under active development, and i needn't trip over the code everytime im working on something else

Apart from that ive been thinking of setting up a github thingie, my only reticence is the fact their website looks like an apple desktop, very bright, very headachy lol

Jordach

GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Tue Jul 24, 2012 18:41

Mauvebic:

Try gitorious!

http://gitorious.org

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) [$ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) $] ( ͡$ ͜ʖ ͡$) ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

My image and media server is back online and is functioning as normal.

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Wed Jul 25, 2012 00:14

mauvebic wrote:Im not gonna put everything back together when i just finished splitting them up :P

some of the reasons why i did it:

- madblocks as a whole was too heavy to run on public servers
- most people like some parts but not all of it (naturally)
- ive been playing w/o some of the parts for a while now
- some of the forks are no longer under active development, and i needn't trip over the code everytime im working on something else

Apart from that ive been thinking of setting up a github thingie, my only reticence is the fact their website looks like an apple desktop, very bright, very headachy lol

Miscommunication right off the bat. I never was very good at communicating.

Bundling them as a modpack doesn't mean that they would depend on one another of have to run as one unit. It just means that you can download them. The modpack format is simple: The root directory of it (which would otherwise contain depends.txt and init.lua) only needs to contain modpack.txt (an empty file). This signals to Minetest that the actual mods are in the directories underneath it. Minetest then searches the directory structure there to find the actual mods.

If someone downloads a modpack and doesn't like some of the mods in there, they simply remove those directories (provided none of their other mods depend on the removed ones, of course). That's it. No fuss.

The benefit would be that there could be a single download link for all your mods, and then people could remove the ones they don't want by simply removing the directories they don't want (Or, if they only want one of the mods, they can simply move that from the pack directly into their mods directory).

Of course, downloading a huge modpack for one single mod in it is inefficient, but anyone who wants multiple parts could download one thing and just delete what they don't want with no effort.

TL;DR: Bundling them as a modpack would not inhibit people's ability to run parts of the pack without running the rest (Points 1-3) or mean putting them back together in any way that could make maintaining them more difficult (Point 4). It's merely a convenient means of offering them all as a single download to be used or not in whatever way the user intends.

All that said, the easiest solution is to go for github/gitorious/Gcode/Savannah/whatever, since then users don't even have to watch a thread anymore :).

Thank you for your time both in responding and in making these mods.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Wed Jul 25, 2012 00:29

now that i understand i think this is what youre looking for:
http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2482

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:37

I will no longer be developing this mod or maintaining it for subsequent minetest versions. If anyone wishes to take over let me know, otherwise the moderators should feel free to move this to Old Mods within a week or two :-)

I do plan on salvaging the trees and adding them to tkerwel's tree mod/modpack. :-)

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Sun Jul 29, 2012 07:49

Just so anyone who's been using Madblocks knows, I have posted a 4seasons converter mod at http://test.eriix.org/4seasons_compat.tar.xz that you can use on your old worlds that used Madblocks back when everything was combined. This mod is tested on my own system, but I offer no promises, so please back up your worlds before using it on them.

The way it works is simple: It populates the Madblocks namespace with dummy nodes using the names the seasons used so that they will load correctly (they will be obvious visually since their texture is full alpha, so you will be able to see the world around you rebuild itself as the nodes are replaced). There is an ABM created which will take these dummy nodes and convert them back to the default Minetest node versions where possible. From there, the 4seasons mod can identify them and begin applying seasonal adjustments.

Bird, slimtree, and palmtree parts are sent directly into the 4seasons namespace since the default Minetest has no equivalent for them. This is why this mod depends on the 4seasons mod, also. If you change that part of the ABM to remove the nodes or replace them with something else, then you can remove the 4seasons dependancy and this mod will make a seasonless world.

To recap: It sits in the background looking for the nodes 4seasons left behind when it was split from Madblocks, and converts them. Once you've explored the areas you frequent, you can remove it from your mods directory safely since it serves no other purpose. You may want to keep a copy somewhere in case you realize later you missed someplace, though.

This does not cover all legacy Madblocks nodes. Only the 4seasons nodes, since they are the ones I am most interested in. I think 4seasons adds a lot to the experience, but I'm still tuning the ABMs for my own use.

Neuromancer

GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 13:18

I stole your birds sound and created an Ambience Mod. They only chirp during the day. At night this is replaced with cricket sounds. (But the sound samples should be longer so that they don't get too boring. )

Let me know if you want to work on this mod with me. If you wanted to get real crazy, we could add sounds depending on location (water sounds when you are underwater, splashing when you are walking above water, wind when you are on a mountain/hill) Caves could have dripping water sounds. (We could steal this from the dripping water mod).

Note: The repository for the code is at: https://github.com/Neuromancer56/MinetestAmbience

If you give me your github account name, I can give you access. I know you don't like github, but as Vanessa said, it's dead easy. Actually not, but I already had it installed.

I stole the code to do day/night sounds from kddekadenz DesDes map's music mod.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Fri Aug 17, 2012 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

qwrwed

In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Sat Dec 08, 2012 16:37

Where is the download link? I need this mod because the demo world is at winter, so there is a plain of unknown blocks.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Sat Dec 08, 2012 17:35

this version wouldnt work with my demo world, in fact it didnt work at all anymore last time i tried. The working/manual version is included with the modpack. :-)

qwrwed

In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Sat Dec 08, 2012 18:13

I got the mod from the board of King Arthur's Server, so it's ok except for 1 missing item (nbu:computer)
Last edited by qwrwed on Mon Dec 10, 2012 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:25

If you're interested, the version I've been maintaining for my server can be grabbed at http://test.eriix.org/4seasons.tar.gz.

To help fight lag on my server, which is rather pitifully weak, I modified the ABM to fire far more often, but with a fairly high inverse chance in order to spread out the load. The result has been a gradual change of seasons without causing periodic lag. If you find your performance needs are different, it is easy to change the settings back for the other balance.

I'm currently working in init.lua.wip on trying to separate out the seasons into different ABMs to further mitigate performance issues (it shouldn't really need to trigger at all for blocks that already represent the current season), but, while disabling the effect of an ABM turns out to be fairly simple (store a backup of the action field, then replace the action field with "function() end"), preventing it from triggering entirely is much more interesting and appears to require some C++ work. I'm still looking into what I need to do in that regard. Free time is limited, so I have no timetable.

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Mon Dec 10, 2012 17:50

4 ABM's = 4 timers
1 ABM = 1 timer
changing that wont help performance much.

TBH the seasons were never as long as i would have liked, but there's an upper limit to minetest.after() which is why the latest version in my new modpack works manually w/ chat commands.

What i could do is link the seasons to real world wearther conditions (ideally you'd chose the city your servers' in, but you could chose any city). Though i cant guarantee that it would work on win32.

ERIIX

by ERIIX » Tue Dec 18, 2012 04:36

mauvebic wrote:4 ABM's = 4 timers
1 ABM = 1 timer
changing that wont help performance much.

TBH the seasons were never as long as i would have liked, but there's an upper limit to minetest.after() which is why the latest version in my new modpack works manually w/ chat commands.

What i could do is link the seasons to real world wearther conditions (ideally you'd chose the city your servers' in, but you could chose any city). Though i cant guarantee that it would work on win32.

4 timers, yes, but not at all equal. I have broken them up so that, once all active blocks have been converted to a single season, there are no blocks matching nodenames for most of the ABMs. This avoids calling into Lua at all for those triggers and allows the Lua code that is called to have fewer branches. (When all active blocks have been converted to the correct season, the ABM called on them reduces to an integer equality and an empty return since it never has to do anything during its own season -- thus avoiding all the string comparisons involved in checking nodes.)

In addition, it can serve to further balance the load so that it is not all happening at once and causing a big stutter. I'm not making real use of that ability, however, since that would require staggering the times a bit, and I have them all using the same interval.

It is, at minimum, running rather snappily both on my laptop and on the $2.95/mo VM I'm using to host a server. In any case, it's easy enough to revert should I need to in the future and it fits with the attempt I'm making to build an API so that other mods I'm working on can have seasonal effects without merging them in.

If you're worried about minetest.after not working for very large values, you could have a look at eriix.longafter in http://test.eriix.org/eriix.tar.gz. I'm not really done with it since I want to give it a way to save how long is left on the various named triggers for loading after server resets -- There's little point in being able to specify an event to occur in 52.3 weeks {0,0,0,0,52.3} if the server is nearly certain to be reset by then. Much of the code deals with the way of specifying time, so you could basically just pare it down to the repeater itself and a basic compare-and-subtract in the time handling bit. I just added the time handler because it was fun.

In other news, I have a newly updated 4seasons on http://test.eriix.org/4seasons.tar.gz. This version has the ABM split and new textures for leaves under both fall and winter.

* User-visible changes:
** The winter leaves have a leafless texture (bare branches and snow) and the node has been modified to be climbable rather than walkable. This behavior can be reverted by setting CLASSIC_WINTER_LEAVES to true in the config section of init.lua and there is an alternate winter leaf texture available as 4seasons_leaves_with_snow.png, though you would need to either replace 4seasons_leaves_winter.png with that or modify the node definition to get that image.
** There is a new texture for fall leaves which is brighter and intended to tile somewhat better.
** There is a new transition behavior available for ice. It has been changed to trigger when it has any air neighbor rather than only when it has air directly above. This creates many strange and interesting ice structures out of waterfalls and may not be something you want at all, so you should test it first on an unimportant world or a world of which you have a current backup. Setting CLASSIC_ICE to false in the config section of init.lua will activate this new behavior.
** The classic '/season pause' has been renamed to '/season stop'.
** A new '/season pause' has been added. This command pauses the automatic advancement of seasons. Once executed, the code will not automatically advance to the next season, but will continue converting blocks to the current season until manually told otherwise. Setting a season manually unpauses, so you don't have to remember if it was paused when choosing a new season.
** '/season unpause' has been added. This is identical to running '/season <season>' where <season> is the current season.
** Default season length has been changed to 61 minutes, which is about 3 days, one hour game-time.

Of course, this is very much a work in progress, and any feedback or ideas for future improvement is greatly appreciated. In particular, with winter allowing you to excavate frozen lakes one layer at a time and climb trees, it seems that all the other seasons are dreadfully lacking... Something to make them all more than just a texture change would be very interesting.

Return to Old Mods