Fermented beverages mod

valhalla

Fermented beverages mod

by valhalla » Mon Mar 18, 2013 13:59

This is my first (WIP) attempt at a mod: it adds fermented beverages and it is available on gitorious under WTFPL.

https://gitorious.org/valhalla-s-minetest-mods/fermented

(to download go to the "source tree" and "Download master as tar.gz")

Currently available are cider (no requirements beyond what is availabe in the default game), beer (requires farming for wheat) and scumble (requires snow for freeze distillation).

Since this is the first mod I ever wrote for minetest any comment is appreciated.

Freeze distillation requires more work to check presence of ice on all sides, it will arrive in one of the next commits.

I also need textures for everything: currently I have placeholders that are recognizable, but really ugly.

Recipes and instructions are in the README.txt

valhalla

by valhalla » Mon Mar 18, 2013 14:02

This is a screenshot with a barrel of cider and a barrel of apple juice that is still waiting to ferment: Image.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Mar 18, 2013 15:15

Interesting mod. That might be a usage for my barrels from the cottages mod. I intend to equip them with a formspec so that you can "pour" in liquids at the top and fill vessels at the bottom (of the formspec).
A list of my mods can be found here.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Mon Mar 18, 2013 19:40

Hard cider! Nice. :-)

Maybe consider adding mead and wine. Might need some bees and some grapes though. Ooh! Bee entities and pollination could be an interesting thing to develop. Hmm.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:03

There's the bees and candles mod :-) That has honey as well.

kaeza

GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:53

Nice mod!
Also, there are grapes in mauvebic's aeroponics mod.
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal | BTC: 1DFZAa5VtNG7Levux4oP6BuUzr1e83pJK2

valhalla

by valhalla » Sun Mar 24, 2013 13:18

Sokomine wrote:Interesting mod. That might be a usage for my barrels from the cottages mod. I intend to equip them with a formspec so that you can "pour" in liquids at the top and fill vessels at the bottom (of the formspec).

This would be quite interesting: my only worry is that I would like my mod to have no hard dependencies (as far as cider is concerned, of course), expecially on other big mods.

The solutions I can think of are two: copy a (minimal?) barrel from your mod in my mod and
use it if your full mod is not available, or split your barrel in its own mod so that mine can depend just on it.

Is there any other solution I don't know of? What would be the best solution?

(as for the other suggestions: I will surely look into the other mods that provide grapes and honey, but I will wait for the basics to stabilize first, so that I don't have to change everything later)

rubenwardy

GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 15:36

valhalla wrote:
Sokomine wrote:Interesting mod. That might be a usage for my barrels from the cottages mod. I intend to equip them with a formspec so that you can "pour" in liquids at the top and fill vessels at the bottom (of the formspec).

This would be quite interesting: my only worry is that I would like my mod to have no hard dependencies (as far as cider is concerned, of course), expecially on other big mods.

The solutions I can think of are two: copy a (minimal?) barrel from your mod in my mod and
use it if your full mod is not available, or split your barrel in its own mod so that mine can depend just on it.

Is there any other solution I don't know of? What would be the best solution?

(as for the other suggestions: I will surely look into the other mods that provide grapes and honey, but I will wait for the basics to stabilize first, so that I don't have to change everything later)

https://github.com/rubenwardy/commonlib/blob/master/mod.lua#L26

You can use that function to make an alias if the external item is avaliable, and it if it is not then you can make a local one in the function.

You can use that code as it is WTFPL.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sun Mar 24, 2013 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Sun Mar 24, 2013 19:23

The barrels are already in a seperate file. I've to find time to finish the formspec and the filling mechanism (turning an open, filled barrel over would not be such a good idea and ought to be excluded). The formspec could use some nice images as well.
You can ship a copy of the barrel in your mod and include that in case the cottages-mod is not installed. That is what I did with the technic screwdriver. The liscence of cottages is/will be GPLv3.
As for interfacing with the barrel, perhaps it would be best to call a special function whenever something is put into a barrel (input- or output-slot)? You could then start the fermentation process from there on. The barrel will save its content (type of liquid, i.e. water) and amount in its metadata.

Return to WIP Mods